Best settings to maximise contrast for office/web use?

Home Forums General Discussion Best settings to maximise contrast for office/web use?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

tornado99
    Participant

I am looking for the best settings to get the maximum text contrast out of my monitor for office use. I am happy to sacrifice color accuracy, and deviate a little from 6500K.

Is the office profile my best option or are there any other tricks? Nudging gamma away from 2.2 perhaps? Not using 6500K target?

I found already that calibrating with a properly adjusted RGB values (48 50 48 in my case), and then switching back to SRGB (50 50 50) with the calibration still loaded gives me a small boost in contrast.

Vincent
    Participant

I am looking for the best settings to get the maximum text contrast out of my monitor for office use. I am happy to sacrifice color accuracy, and deviate a little from 6500K.

two options:

-native if it is pleasant to your eyes

-closest white in daylight locus to native white (run uncalibrated report, get closest CDT , aim to that white

tornado99
    Participant

Thanks.

I got a CDT of 6645K and calibrated to that target, achieving 6700K.

The SRGB values had to be adjusted from 50:50:50 to 48:50:49 instead of 48:50:48 (for 6500K). So I guess that makes sense too.

The only thing I noticed is that contrast went from 890:1 to 900:1 and the display looked remarkably similar uncalibrated to calibrated. Perhaps in a way calibration in slightly pointless if your native white is very close to your desired white.

Vincent
    Participant

It depends on how bad is grey: TRC (“gamma”) and grey color issues in grey ramp. For a lot of displays calibration is needed even if you do not modify native white. For others it matters less. Check out calibration curves in resulting ICC profile, teh closer they are to lienar 45 degree straight line, the less calibration has corrected.

tornado99
    Participant

Oh yes, you are right. Definitely a few wiggles in the curves particularly approaching the bottom left corner of the plot.

tornado99
    Participant

Also, for office work I start off at 300 cd in the morning, and adjust my brightness down step by step throughtout the day, reaching 80 cd at night.

Is there any particular brightness value to use for the calibration that would be the best compromise to cover that range. The mid-point perhaps?

Obviously a series of calibrations at each brightness would be optimal, but very time consuming.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS