Best calibration settings for gaming/general use?

Home Forums Help and Support Best calibration settings for gaming/general use?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Daniel Hildreth
    Participant

I calibrated my monitor the other day using your program and I started thinking about whether my settings were good or not. For example, I’m not sure what the best choice for tone curve is, and even after looking up info on differences I’m still confused >_<. So, I thought I’d ask here!

I have a BenQ xl2411z and a x-rite i1 Display Pro and these are the settings I’ve used to calibrate my monitor:
    white and black level drift compensation – checked
    Whitepoint – 6504K daylight
    White level – custom 100.00 cd/m^2
    Black level – as measured
    Tone curve – Gamma 2.2 – Gamma of 2.2 (Relative)
    Black output offset 100%
    Calibration speed – low
    XYZ LUT + matrix
    Profile quality – High
    Testchart – Auto-optimized – 11140 patches

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Your settings are OK 🙂 You can adjust the white level to a target 100 cd/m2 or use your settings for it, how many % did you get after the calibration was completed?

Daniel Hildreth
    Participant

I’m not sure what % you’re asking for specifically, but this is what it says:
    gamut coverage:
    sRGB – 95.4%
    Adobe RGB – 68.1%
    DCI P3 – 71.3%

Glad to know the settings are okay : )

Daniel Hildreth
    Participant

When trying to make a 3d lut for reshade from this profile, I noticed it defaulted to rec.1886 instead of the gamma 2.2 of the profile. Is there a reason I would use rec.1886 over gamma 2.2 here? and should rendering intent be left at “absolute colorimetric with white point scaling”?

S Simeonov
    Participant

Sorry 😀 what I meant was sRGB coverage :), your results looks good, as for the 3dlut question I can’t help you with that :/

Florian Höch (g+)
    Participant

When trying to make a 3d lut for reshade from this profile, I noticed it defaulted to rec.1886 instead of the gamma 2.2 of the profile. Is there a reason I would use rec.1886 over gamma 2.2 here? and should rendering intent be left at “absolute colorimetric with white point scaling”?

You can use 2.2 instead. Rendering intent absolute or relative colorimetric shouldn’t make a difference (because your whitepoint is basically the same as the Rec. 709 target).

S Simeonov
    Participant

How about if I want to make a 3dlut for madvr from existing calibration, my goal is to achieve a gamma of 2.5-2.6 (I watch movies in a completely dark room). Which settings I have to modify?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

my goal is to achieve a gamma of 2.5-2.6 (I watch movies in a completely dark room).

I wouldn’t go higher than 2.4.

S Simeonov
    Participant

my goal is to achieve a gamma of 2.5-2.6 (I watch movies in a completely dark room).

I wouldn’t go higher than 2.4.

2.4 is kinda bright in a very dark room…

S Simeonov
    Participant

Any special settings to adjust, I’ll try with 2.4 gamma, not 2.4 bt.1886 elevates the shadows too much and looks weird.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 2 months ago by S Simeonov.

Anonymous
    Inactive

i use 2.3 in a dark room and its perfect
    but then the tv has 0 blacks already

what tv do you have?

S Simeonov
    Participant

I’m on a pc monitor dell u2913wm 🙂

S Simeonov
    Participant

Any special difference between relative 2.4 gamma and absolute 2.4 gamma in the 3DLUT options? Which one is better?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Any special difference between relative 2.4 gamma and absolute 2.4 gamma in the 3DLUT options? Which one is better?

The info text on the 3D LUT tab should explain the difference. I’ts not about better or worse, but having the option so it can be matched to how the content being viewed was mastered (and in case the latter is unknown, it comes down to user preference).

S Simeonov
    Participant

If the content is mastered with 2.4 bt.1886 gamma, how is the supposed way of watching it with relative 2.4 or with absolute 2.4 gamma? There must be a proper way of watching 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS