BenQ SW 2700PT, i1display studio – what am I doing wrong?

Home Forums Help and Support BenQ SW 2700PT, i1display studio – what am I doing wrong?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Matus Straka
    Participant

Hi all, I’m having serious issues with calibrating BenQ SW 2700pt with i1display studio. As this colorimeter doesn’t work with BenQ palette master and hardware calibration I’m trying to do software calibration with displaycal at least.

It used to work fine few months ago, but I had to reinstall my sytem and now whatever I try in displaycal my sRGB is not higher than 80% nevermind adobe RGB which is around 50% at best.

Here’s what I’m doing: factory reset monitor, set in adobeRGB mode.

DisplayCAL: Settings: tried basically all major relevant options for me (default, photo, sRGB).

Correction: tried all I could find here plus some of the pre-defined options just to be on the safe side.

Mode: LCD(generic)

I’m not changing anything else. Spent all day trying different combinations, reading all topics I could find relevant to my situations with no luck. Don’t know where I should go from here. Any help would be much appreciated.

I need monitor for photo editing and home printing.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

HDMI with nvidia or laptop? check that you are not sending limited range 16-235 when display is expecting full range 0-255.

Also another smoking gun pointing to that is abnormaly low contrast, althoigh you cannot take that for granted in newer benq SW ended with “C” because they use the same low cost low quality panels as always  but apply some uniformity correction that destroys contrast. With with an old  SW like yours yiou can use it too to diagnose range missmatch

Matus Straka
    Participant

Hi Vincent, DisplayPort with PC (MSI Radeon RX 580 ARMOR 8G OC).
    Think I’ve made some good progress since Yesterday. Performed another factory reset on monitor, reset on my GPU settings, updated monitor driver (although I think I’ve already had latest drivers), changed scaling from 125% to 100% and picked User profile in monitor OSD (with AdobeRGB color gamut set).

Now results looks something like this:
    Gamut Coverage
    99,7 % sRGB
    99,2 % AdobeRGB
    86 % DCI P3

Gamut Volume
    147,1 % sRGB
    101,4 % AdobeRGB
    104,2 % DCI P3

I was slightly worried with that DCI P3 coverage, but I guess this is not something I should worry about, as the color gamut was set as AdobeRGB. Is this correct assumption to make?

Vincent
    Participant

Is there a native gamut setting? QLED native gamut covers both of them (P3 & Adobe)

Matus Straka
    Participant

I don’t think there is.  adobeRGB, rec.709, sRGB & p3 only. Think I will stick with adobeRGB for now.
    Anyway, think I’ll leave calibration as it is for now and will see how it goes in couple of weeks times. Bigger fish to fry now with making some sense out of printing. It appears that when I’m trying to softproof my photos, using profiled papers for print the results are way off compared to what I see on my monitor. This is kind of funny, because without softproofing and trying to set every little detail before printing, my prints appear to be much more closer to what I see.  Different topic for different forums though.

Vincent, your help and support is much appreciated. I’ve noticed how helpful you’ve been to others as well. Keep up the good work. Thank you.

Vincent
    Participant

I don’t think there is.  adobeRGB, rec.709, sRGB & p3 only. Think I will stick with adobeRGB for now.

Then you are loosing printable colors on cyan side (P3 seting) or magenta/orange side (AdobeRGB) that monitor can actually display (printable colors in eciRGBv2/ProPhotoRG/ProStarRGB colorspaces)
    Since most of these colors are fabrics with staurated colors or flowers… they may be not so common so you can live with it. Some very saturated red roses can be a headache.

Bigger fish to fry now with making some sense out of printing. It appears that when I’m trying to softproof my photos, using profiled papers for print the results are way off compared to what I see on my monitor. This is kind of funny, because without softproofing and trying to set every little detail before printing, my prints appear to be much more closer to what I see.  Different topic for different forums though.

If we assume that printer profiles are OK (which may not):

-simulate white paper is done in PCS, hence when activated on D65 screen will push paper with OBAs even further into blue while most desktop lamps are on the warm side.
    Match display white with light source white and if light source is good enough (halogen or multiphosphor violet led, close to thermal or daylight SPD, spectral power distribution) actual paper white should be closer when using white paper simulation
    D50 booth without bumpy SPD lightsource, D50 screen, screen cd/m2 = lux booth / PI, with screen in 90-160 cd/m2 range should be close to “plug & play” for people that want to avoid diving too much into this. Like an industrial approach, apply X torque to that engine part, close the car hood, end, if all other parts work as intened this gets a good result.

-simulate ink “may” push black simulation a little higher if display profile does not store actual black. Try turning off BPC on displaycal profiles, but IDNK your display contrast
    I mean reduced screen contrast because some uniformity compensation.  Display on non native white D50 + UC can have  max ~400:1 contrast on some displays. If BPC on, for color management engine RGB=0 is 0 cd/m2. When color managemet engine search for black ink equivalent it may get a display RGB number with higher L* value than expected.
    … but not using BPC may crush your blacks when not softproofing.

An alternative is to do not simulate white or black ink, match white visually & reduce contrast till a match, then use softproof without white & black simulation. But that is a lot of work for every paper. I prefer plug & play approach.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 11 months ago by Vincent.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS