Basic Question: How to determine contrast ratio?

Home Forums Help and Support Basic Question: How to determine contrast ratio?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

tripletmonad
    Participant

Hello,

I have a colormunki display and use DisplayCAL GUI on Windows. I’m trying to determine the contrast ratio of a new monitor of mine, the LG 27GL850 (btw if you know this monitor and have any tips for calibration please let me know).

I’m not sure where to see what its measured contrast ratio is and I haven’t been able to search or find where that’s recorded. Any help would be great, thanks.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Dingus Bongus
    Participant

I’m new to this, but think I know the answer.

If you run the final tab that lets you check your calibration, it will do another set of patches and gives you a very detailed report on the calibration, including contrast ratio.

tripletmonad
    Participant

I’m a little bit dense perhaps. I know the report, titled Profile Information. There are a lot of values there including Media black point, illuminant  relative XYZ, etc. But what calculation needs to be done given the information in Profile Information to get  the ratio?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by tripletmonad.

Patrick1978
    Participant

There are a couple way to do this.

After you’ve created a profile there should be a Verification tab with a green check mark to the right.  Go there, make sure the Simulation profile check box is unchecked and run through the measurements.  It’ll create an html page with a load of information including the contrast ratio.

Another way is Tools menu > Report > Report on calibrated display.  this will do some quick measurements and give some basic info including contrast ratio.

There is also a Report on uncalibrated display that you can use to see the same information but it does the measurements without the calibration loaded.

One thing i’m unsure about with that display is if any of the currently available colormeter corrections are appropriate for this monitor.

My understanding of the Nano IPS backlight that it uses is that it’s a standard WLED with a “Nano” coating to block yellow which increases the saturation of red and green. This seems to be different than any of the corrections supplied by DisplayCAL.

If there isn’t a proper colormeter correction then measurements may not be as accurate as they could be.

Last thing, don’t worry too much about the contrast ratio.  I know everyone on reddit is losing it over the fact that this monitor has a lower than average contrast ratio for an ips display but in practice it’s a small difference that you likely won’t notice unless you have the brightness cranked all the way up or are in a dark room.

tripletmonad
    Participant

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for!

Here’s a snippet of my report

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

tripletmonad
    Participant

Here’s the report after  calibrating for 6500.

I’m not too worried about contrast. I came from an Asus pa246q =)

Attachments:

tripletmonad
    Participant

And this is switching to gamma mode 4 and shooting for 6500k. I’ll probably stick with this one.

Attachments:

tripletmonad
    Participant

I tried the PFS correction and I think the results are better.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments:
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS