Apple Studio Display DisplayCal vs Calibrite uniformity

Home Forums Help and Support Apple Studio Display DisplayCal vs Calibrite uniformity

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Carles
    Participant

Hello all,

Just bought an Apple Studio display and wanted to check the uniformity with my MacBook Pro with M2 Pro, but I can’t. I try to follow the specs on some topics but I can’t.

And then discovered Calibrite, I own an i1 Display and download his program. With it, I have some bad results, attach some captures.

Then a friend bring me an iMac 27 (2019) and was able to check the uniformity with DisplayCal with pretty good results.

Now I’m a bit confused. Anyone can tell me why the difference and which one have to trust?

Thank you all

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

Uniformity : variation across screen in COLOR TINT and BRIGHTNESS = total Error  = color distance = delta E
    delta L or % = brightness
    deltaEab or deltaC = color tint

Usually up to -10% drop on corners is expected unless you apply some kind of uniformity compensation, UC,  which drops contrast
    less than 2dC in color tint is very good.
    To get a hint abaout dEab – dC ypu’ll have to look at the maths
    Looks like Apple have worse QC these days, but color uniformity is good and brightness drop is somehow expected withput UC. Seems OK

By the way, it’s unlikey that calibrite software support any modern mac display, even of the say the opposite: they lack of colorimter corrections for those screens EVEN IF THEY SAY TEHY HAVE IT AND YOU SLEECTED IT ON UI… it is not applying that.
    But this only apply to actual white color and it’s dependent on colrimeter firmware data so it may be possible that you do not visually notice it.

Carles
    Participant

Hello Vincent,

Thank you for your response and clarification, this helps me to understand more the test.

So, I assume this difference is because DisplayCal uniformity test doesn’t include % or delta (brightness), and this is the baddest thing in the withes of this monitor.

But on the other hand, all the rest are really good, right?

I know full calibrate an apple display is not possible, but I choose the commodity over this, for my work I think will pass.

I did another uniformity test after the profiling and it’s even better. The Adobe RGB gamut could be better but is okey.

This means I have good luck with this screen?

Thanks for all!

Carles

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Carles
    Participant

I’m testing so much because still can return this product, so that’s why I ask if I have a good product for the apple studio display specs.

Thanks!!

Vincent
    Participant

Color uniformity is very good. Brightness uniformity is expected without UC even on premium displays.

AdobeRGB coverage is what Apple wants : gamut exactly P3 so thay can EXTREMELY  oversimplify desktop color management for their casual (almost all) consumers => They do not care about (customers who need) predicting printable cyan-green colors on screen.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 4 hours ago by Vincent.

Carles
    Participant

Thank you so much for your help, Vincent!

Best

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS