Any way to create 3D LUT without changing gamma curve?

Home Forums Help and Support Any way to create 3D LUT without changing gamma curve?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

mcbonner
    Participant

I’m trying to profile a broadcast monitor through Davinci Resolve using a display LUT. The monitor has controls that can adjust brightness and gamma, and it seems to be in the right place to begin with when viewing color bars and charts.

When creating a display LUT through DisplayCAL, it pushes the gamma curve way out of whack.

I’m wondering if I can create a LUT that only shifts the colors to where they should be, but leaves the gamma alone.

Possilble?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m trying to profile a broadcast monitor through Davinci Resolve using a display LUT. The monitor has controls that can adjust brightness and gamma, and it seems to be in the right place to begin with when viewing color bars and charts.

Note that gamma as a single value is usually not an adequately accurate representation of a monitor’s response, due to a typically non zero black level (unless it’s an OLED) and nonlinearities. After creating a profile, you can bring up the profile information window and view the measured tone response to get an accurate view of the monitor’s native response.

When creating a display LUT through DisplayCAL, it pushes the gamma curve way out of whack.

The standard target tone response for a Rec. 709 3D LUT is BT.1886, which takes the monitor’s black level into account. Depending on your monitor’s native tone response and black level, this may be considerably brighter (or darker). This is intended and not a problem though. You could also target a “legacy” (before introduction of Rec. 1886) gamma (e.g. 2.2, 2.35, or 2.4) “100% output offset” curve.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS