3D LUT vs regular Profile for gaming

Home Forums General Discussion 3D LUT vs regular Profile for gaming

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Dingus Bongus
    Participant

Hi there! Just checking with the knowledgeable folk out there to make sure I am using the correct settings for my monitor calibration.

I have a W10 PC with a monitor (~90% D3) that I am calibrating for use on desktop, games, and perhaps madvr under a BT1886 gamma and rec709.

I have reshade prepared and working if needed.

Is the most ideal configuration to utilise 3D LUTs in games with reshade and in MadVR rather than using games and madvr in desktop mode with just the regular 1D LUT profile loaded? I believe the 3D LUTs give better colour accuracy outside just looking at grey scale?

If yes, is the best way to deal with this to keep my desktop profile loaded up, and utilise exceptions in the profile launcher to get the red circle for the games etc I’m loading as shown in the exceptions window? And is the VGCT box best kept ticked in this scenario in the 3D LUT generaration tab?

I assume I want to keep all the settings consistent between the calibration – profile – 3D LUT tabs too? Doing this won’t double apply corrections?

Thank you kindly for anyone who can provide input, just trying to make sure I’m on track with all of this 🙂

Dingus Bongus
    Participant

Oh… And if I use 3D LUTs in this way, is it recommended/ok if I still use XYZ lut+ matrix for the normal profile?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is the most ideal configuration to utilise 3D LUTs in games with reshade and in MadVR rather than using games and madvr in desktop mode with just the regular 1D LUT profile loaded?

Games (like most 3D applications) are usually not color managed, so they do not make use of profiles and the only thing that may affect them is the 1D calibration in the graphics card.

If yes, is the best way to deal with this to keep my desktop profile loaded up, and utilise exceptions in the profile launcher to get the red circle for the games etc I’m loading as shown in the exceptions window? And is the VGCT box best kept ticked in this scenario in the 3D LUT generaration tab?

Pretty much correct.

Also, may I point you to this excellent write-up of Lars Borg on the differences between (ICC) color profiles vs (3D) LUTs: https://www.quora.com/What-are-the-differences-between-a-color-profile-ICC-and-colour-look-up-table-LUT-and-when-should-I-use-them

Dingus Bongus
    Participant

Appreciate the reply Florian!

After reading that source, I am still a little confused about a few aspects regarding application of the different scenarios.

1. From your first response, I am just wanting to confirm the reason for something I’ve observed. If I run games in windowed mode, I appear to get the impact of my system-wide profile (unless disabled by the profile loader). I can clearly observe the shift in the gamma in these games when the profile is active. Is this only from the 1D calibration like you suggested, while not being impacted by the ICC color profile as well? Or am I observing a full display color correction if I’m in windowed mode. In fullscreen mode, unless the game has some kind of specific “use desktop gamma mode”, they don’t seem to get impacted at all, and I assume neither the 1D LUT or Profile are being used. I am just checking that your response is applicable to both scenarios.

2. I expect the answer to this would be yes, but does adding an exception in the profile loader disable both the application of the 1D LUT (as it is also present in the 3D LUT, and we don’t want double loading), and also the ICC color profile? This would only be an issue if games can even use the ICC color profile, regarding question 1.

Hope these aren’t stupid questions!

Thank you kindly for your time and knowledge.

SirMaster
    Participant

In windowed mode you get the 1DLUT.  You can only get 3DLUT for gaming if you use reshade and load the 3DLUT with that.

I wish there was a way to get the 1DLUT with full screen games.

AstralStorm
    Participant

For well behaved displays, high accuracy calibration via vcgt (at least on Radeons) is essentially identical to using a 1DLUT or even very slightly better. That is because the vcgt curves are equivalent to calibrating triplet and lines along exterior of the Yxy curve, same as ICC 3xCurve. (According to DisplayCAL measurement reports.) 3DLUT is almost always better though with improved color tracking in darker parts.

AstralStorm
    Participant

The main issue with using vcgt is that some games like to reset it and loader might take a while to restore them, plus some games use it in a silly way to make things lighter/darker – replacing it rather than multiplying.

Timill
    Participant

1DLUT applies to FSO fullscreen games for me on Windows 10 build 1909 and 2004 (tested with Red Dead Redemption 2 and Halo MCC). Traditional fullscreen exclusive of course still bypasses calibration.

AstralStorm
    Participant

Here, vcgt gives nasty banding artifacts in Radeon 20.4.2 drivers. Plus it’s not a full correction or close to it unless screen is extremely well behaved. (In my case, very tuned primaries and carefully chosen brightness and gamma. As in not in its locked out HDR mode.) VCGT is not a 1DLUT. VCGT + ICC profile gives a true correction.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS