3D LUT + tone curve + apply vcgt = ?

Home Forums Help and Support 3D LUT + tone curve + apply vcgt = ?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

pneumatic2
    Participant

Firstly I just want to say wow what a massive effort DisplayCAL must have been for just one programmer (Florian) and I plan on donating.  It might not be a large donation from me, but if everybody donated a small amount it would add up to a lot!

Ok here is my question: from the 3D LUT section of the help documentation I seem to understand the following:

1. If “apply vcgt” is ticked, I have to make sure vcgt is linear while using the 3D LUT
    2. If “apply vcgt” is unticked, I have to make sure my vcgt is loaded while using the 3D LUT

However, in the case of (1), what is then the function of “tone curve” on the 3D LUT tab? Since vcgt tone curve is already applied to the 3D LUT, does this mean the result will be a double tone curve? Or does DisplayCAL apply the tone curve only “in supplement to” vcgt to produce the selected tone curve, i.e if vcgt and tone curve are both set to the same eg. 2.2, then 3D LUT tone curve won’t actually contain any further tone curve modifications on top of the vcgt tone curve.

Thanks

On another note, my account (username: pneumatic) was disabled due to the forum thinking I was a spammer, however I was not spamming.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 10 months ago by pneumatic2.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Firstly I just want to say wow what a massive effort DisplayCAL must have been for just one programmer (Florian) and I plan on donating.

Thanks, it’s been an ongoing project for about eight years now. Wouldn’t be possible without ArgyllCMS.

However, in the case of (1), what is then the function of “tone curve” on the 3D LUT tab? Since vcgt tone curve is already applied to the 3D LUT, does this mean the result will be a double tone curve?

Think of vcgt as part of adjustment, just like display hardware controls such as brightness. Then it should become clear why the calibration needs to be in place in one way or another for the profile (and thus 3D LUTs made from said profile) to be correct.

if vcgt and tone curve are both set to the same eg. 2.2, then 3D LUT tone curve won’t actually contain any further tone curve modifications on top of the vcgt tone curve.

That’s about correct, yes.

On another note, my account (username: pneumatic) was disabled due to the forum thinking I was a spammer, however I was not spamming.

Sorry about that, the automatic spam filter was a bit overzealous due to the word “supplement” 🙂 I enabled your original account again and made the spam filter a little less sensitive.

Pneumatic
    Participant

Thanks again!

S Simeonov
    Participant

Is there any visual difference when using the default madvr present frames in advance, and using windowed overlay (which clips WTW) when watching blu-ray movies?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by S Simeonov.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there any visual difference when using the default madvr present frames in advance, and using windowed overlay (which clips WTW) when watching blu-ray movies?

No, but there is a speed advantage in disabling “present frames in advance” and using the default number of backbuffers (3).

S Simeonov
    Participant

No, but there is a speed advantage in disabling “present frames in advance” and using the default number of backbuffers (3).

Indeed, the default backbuffer is 3, I always bump them to 6, is it OK?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by S Simeonov.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sure, you’ll maybe loose a bit of speed but that’s all.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Sure, you’ll maybe loose a bit of speed but that’s all.

Thank you for the info 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS