10 bit vs 8 bit

Home Forums General Discussion 10 bit vs 8 bit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

pl.marasco
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m a DisplayCAL enthusistic but I’m still learning how to use it… I would like to check if my NVIDIA Quadro K620 connected via Displayport (MST) to an Asus PA279q is actually working at 10 bits.
    Both the NVIDIA panel and Photoshop settings have been properly configured, the drivers are the only ones provided by asus, and those NVIDIA drivers are the latest available.
    Using the test “10 bit test ramp.psd” the result I get on the monitor that should be 10 bit is the same as that of the 8 bit monitor not connected via DP.
    Is there a way through DISPLAYCAL to “certify” that the monitor is working at 10 bit I tried to look at in the calibration report but the only parameter I found refers to 256 so it would make me suspect that the monitor returns a range to 8bit.
    Thank you,

L.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Using the test “10 bit test ramp.psd” the result I get on the monitor that should be 10 bit is the same as that of the 8 bit monitor not connected via DP.

Photoshop uses OpenGL. With nVidia, 10-bit OpenGL requires a Quadro graphics card.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi everyone,

[…]

I would like to check if my NVIDIA Quadro K620 connected via Displayport (MST) to an Asus PA279q is actually working at 10 bits.

[…]

Quadro drivers may use some kind of dithering when drawing those 10bit OpenGL surfaces in monitors not capable of 8bit, or limited to 8bit by configuration.
    That dithering could be indistinguishable from actual 10bit output = smooth, no bands.

NEC had a test in its web for their 10bit monitors. It’s an app that renders a 10bit surface in a small screen and it will fail if no 10bit support. AFAIK it is not limited to their monitors so you can try it.

pl.marasco
    Participant

Hi all,

tnx for all the answers. For Florian, as I already mentioned I’ve a Quadro card  so from that point of view no problem, and as well I’ve the DiplayPort cable, the chain is close  by the monitor that’s supposed to works at 10 bit. My original monitor was properly working but after a substitution the new one isn’t capable to reach the  wide range and I’ve to prove it.

Finally, with the NEC tool, I had the possibility to prove that my monitor isn’t properly working at 10 bits. As Vincent correctly said most probably the result is an interpolated 10bit but compared to a monitor that’s fully support the 10bits the result is evident.

I still don’t have any certificate using the spectrometer but at least I’ve the prove that my feelings are correct.

Thank’s again to everybody.

L.

Vincent
    Participant

Finally, with the NEC tool, I had the possibility to prove that my monitor isn’t properly working at 10 bits. As Vincent correctly said most probably the result is an interpolated 10bit but compared to a monitor that’s fully support the 10bits the result is evident.

I don’t think so. That’s the point of dithering. I think that even your monitors panel is not true 10bit but “10bit input”… and you should not care about it (1000:1 CR display)

If you don’t see “bands” in 10bit ramp test (100% zoom) = 10bit or dithering, you should not care about the “name” of what is working.
    If you  see “bands” in 10bit ramp test (100% zoom) = 8bit without driver dithering in that OpenGL surface (like a gamer card)… contact nvidia support about this issue: Quadro have better support for som apps like Adobe suite.

I still don’t have any certificate using the spectrometer but at least I’ve the prove that my feelings are correct.

If your Quadro is using dithering to render 10bit surface you won’t be able to measure it even with lab grade spectrophotometer. That’s the point of dithering. Even high end monitors with true 10bit panels need it in order to apply their internal calibration properly (12-14-16bit).

• This reply was modified 5 years, 10 months ago by Vincent.

pl.marasco
    Participant

In my opinion you can see the lines, but I’m more in favour for a problem that comes from the screen; I had a substitution because the previous one “died” and if I remember properly the first one wasn’t effected by this lines.  To be pragmatic I used the same tests over an identical card but with a different monitor and the result is completely different and positive for the 10bits. This convinced me that’s isn’t a problem of videocard but more on teh side of the monitor or may be the cable? even if I doubt for it.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Vincent
    Participant

A screenshot will not help here, AFAIK you cant capture it with “Prnt Scrn”.

If you do see bands in PS opening that 10bit ramp PSD with 100% zoom after setting  Quadro drivers set to 10bit, PS set to “30bit+advanced”+app restart, then contact Quadro support with card model, monitor model, driver version and PS version & configuration.

All this could be much more easy if Adobe would forget this 10bit stuff for PS and go all the way with dithering like Lightroom or Capture One… but that way AMD and nvidia won’t be able to sell their priced “entry level” pro cards to photographers.

pl.marasco
    Participant

You are right saying that you can’t take the 10 bits with the Prnt Scrn but, for my experience, you can with the 8 bits.
    It’s funny… actually is another “rude” test, if you take a print and the result is the same as you see then it’s 8bits, if not, you are most probably on the 10th. In other words, same result 8 bit different 10 bit. Or at least in my experience was exactly in this way when I tested over another 10 bit monitor.
    As I already set up everything in the proper way and as I tested with another monitor I really don’t see why I should contact Quadro but I’ll follow you suggestion especially as ASUS is taking a looooong time to answer me.
    About your consideration on the market I’m agree with you but my opinion doesn’t count too much and I’m afraid that there are other brand that’s make fruits looking as out of the gold.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS