Yellow tint after calibration

Home Forums General Discussion Yellow tint after calibration

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

SEAN BOOYSEN
    Participant

Hi there

I recently came accross the displaycal software.

I have a LG 34um68 wide monitor

I make use of spyder4express and after calibrating with this my monitor color is colder(blue tint).

Downloaded it and installed Displaycal, followed all the steps and after calibrating my monitor seems more warmer(yellow tint).

What will the correct one be?  Blue tint or yellow tint.

Stephan
    Participant

That depends on what you want! Looks like the two applications were using different calibration targets with different white points (and possibly employing different colorimeter corrections as well). Which preset did you use for DisplayCAL? Run a quick report for the calibrated device with both profiles and see what the log has to say on white point.

What I would generally advise on doing:

1. Look whether you can’t find a decent set of monitor settings or other advice on what mode best to use etc. online. Things like dynamic contrast are best left disabled altogether – while there is optional white luminance drift compensation, I would not rely on it for ironing out things like that.
    2. Make sure you have a decently suitable colorimeter correction loaded (in case there is none for your exactly model of monitor, you can consult the online database manually). Otherwise white point accuracy may be subpar. A matrix correction is more powerful but also a lot more specific than a spectral one, and may or may not match your colorimeter sample and your screen well.
    3. Run a quick report of the uncalibrated device so you get a decent idea where your starting point is. Also, looking at test images can be useful in determining whether you have any severe black or white clipping issues. These should be sorted out via the monitor controls as far as possible without degrading contrast. Also make sure brightness is not excessive, right from the factory it very often is.
    4. Pick a settings preset suitable for your application.
    5. Even if you are shooting for a specific white point (on Calibration tab), it may be useful to choose the “as measured” setting, as then the interactive adjustment window will display color temperature rather than xy coordinates, and it will allow shooting for any color temperature on the (daylight) locus. This is handy as you will want to at least try out the color temperature that gets you onto the locus with the least color adjustment on the monitor (priority: green > red > blue), leaving maximum contrast. Most people won’t really care about 6000 vs. 6700 K, just as long as it’s something reasonable. (If you do a lot of reading or use the monitor in the evening or at night, 6000 K or even 5800 K is likely to be preferable though.)
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS