X11 forwarding

Home Forums General Discussion X11 forwarding

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Colin Paul Adams
    Participant

My niece thinks her laptop is too slow. Maybe we will buy her a desktop machine, but as my desktop has plenty of spare capacity, X11 forwarding seems worth trying.

Unfortunately, krita (like other KDE apps) doesn’t work over X11 forwarding, but maybe that can be fixed. If so, then there is the issue of profiling the display for use with X11 forwarding. Having thought about it, i think it will work, but I’d like to run it pass people here.

First, run DisplayCAL over X11 forwarding from the laptop seems the right thing to do. Since the application will be running on the desktop, it can only use color-management stuff on the desktop, not the laptop, I think.

Second, profiling not calibration, because I don’t want to change the LUTs in the video card, as that would hurt ME. Is that right? I’m not sure, as it’s a different X11 display, but I don’t see how it could be writing to the video card on her laptop.

Third, install the profile only for the local user, and don’t load at start time. Instead load it as part of the bash script run as the ssh command script.

Does this all seem reasonable?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’ve never attempted anything like this, in theory you may have some luck, but I wonder if applications that query for profiles support such a configuration.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS