Windows ICC profile for Apple LED Cinema Display with i1 Pro

Home Forums Help and Support Windows ICC profile for Apple LED Cinema Display with i1 Pro

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Halfdan
    Participant

First of all this program is quite nice looking and pretty easy to use. Apologies in advance if my questions are silly since I don’t know anything about display calibration and have just started using this program. As the title says I created an ICC profile for my Apple LED Cinema display since Windows doesn’t have any default profile for this monitor. I used an i1 Pro. Afterwards I did a verification with “Verification testchart” option. I also calibrated my old monitor as well (Dell U2311H0. I have a couple of questions:

1. I attached both profile reports and as you can see the contrast ratio is seems quite unrealistic. In another report it was even above 4000. Why is this and is there a way to measure actual contrast ratio?

2. Are these profiles any good. The numbers seems good, but I’m not sure if I messed anything up. I just used the default settings. Except for Cinema display I selected 6500K whitepoint instead of “As measured”.

3. Is there any value in calibrating with the Ambient light attachment that comes with i1 Pro. I did this with the original software package (iMatch), but there doesn’t seem to be much visual difference when I switch between profiles. DisplayCal profile does show better values in validation though.

4. The i1 Pro is quite old and according to the certificate should have been recalibrated in 2007. Does this significantly influences the the measurements? My main goal is to have at least a decent profile for Windows since by default Windows doesn’t have a profile for it (or uses some default sRGB profile).

Edit:

5. Also with DisplayCal using default settings it takes a bit more than one hour to do a calibration. Is there a reason why it takes so long, since with iMatch it takes couple of minutes.

• This topic was modified 7 years, 1 month ago by Halfdan.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I attached both profile reports and as you can see the contrast ratio is seems quite unrealistic.

I wouldn’t say so. 1000:1 is quite a common baseline for IPS panel displays.

Are these profiles any good. The numbers seems good, but I’m not sure if I messed anything up.

Judging from the reports they seem fine.

I just used the default settings. Except for Cinema display I selected 6500K whitepoint instead of “As measured”.

That’s fine as well. If you want the whitepoints to match, you’ll have to use the same target though (or match them visually). This is only of importance if both displays sit next to each other in your field of vision though.

Is there any value in calibrating with the Ambient light attachment that comes with i1 Pro

The rule of thumb is: For color critical work, you should control the ambient light (i.e. ensure a static lighting situation), not the other way around.

The i1 Pro is quite old and according to the certificate should have been recalibrated in 2007. Does this significantly influences the the measurements?

From what I’ve seen the i1 Pro is quite stable even over prolonged periods of time (when handled and stored properly), and the main thing that ages is the lamp which is only used for reflective (e.g. from paper) measurements, not emissive.

Also with DisplayCal using default settings it takes a bit more than one hour to do a calibration. Is there a reason why it takes so long, since with iMatch it takes couple of minutes.

Yes. It takes a lot more readings, resulting in a more accurate calibration and profile. You can cut the time taken for profiling by reducing the patches amount slider one notch to 271. i1 Match only takes a couple dozen readings if I recall correctly.

Halfdan
    Participant

Thanks for the insight. Your answers make sense. I agree both monitors should have the same whitepoint, so I recalibrated my old monitor to 6500K (see attachment) and set it to around 100 cd/m2 luminance as that seems about as high as I’m comfortable with. I also left the contrast slider to factory default as I’ve read this will give best result. It seems though that adjusting brightness after the fact doesn’t impact the output that much, is this correct? Also the calculated contrast ratio still seems off to me, since it shouldn’t go over a 1000 as that is the max static value specified for both monitors. At least the end result looks good though, so I’m not complaining.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS