Why does display contrast have to be set to factory default?

Home Forums Help and Support Why does display contrast have to be set to factory default?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

brad31271
    Participant

When setting the white level during DisplayCAL calibration, why does the DisplayCAL website suggest leaving the contrast level on  your display at the factory default?  I am trying to calibrate my Samsung CCFL LCD TV with an i1display pro and the factory default contrast setting of 95/100 is too hard on my eyes.  Lowering the backlight level helps but when I do that, to be able to tolerate the factory default contrast, I have to set the backlight so low that the image then becomes too dim.  I feel like I get a better balanced picture that is easier on my eyes with the backlight set higher to maybe 7/10 and the contrast set lower to something like 55/100.

Also, what am I supposed to set the brightness control at on my TV?  I wasn’t sure so I just played an .mp4 of a pluge test pattern and set the brightness according to the directions for that test pattern.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

why does the DisplayCAL website suggest leaving the contrast level on your display at the factory default?

Because the documentation is geared towards computer monitor calibration, and on computer monitors, the contrast control often alters the signal in a way that is likely to cause clipping or raised black floor/reduced white level, and in that case the only “correct” setting is the one where that doesn’t happen.

On TVs, the situation is different – the contrast control usually mimics how it would work on a CRT (= it controls the white level only, while not affecting black floor), and is thus usually safe to adjust.

brad31271
    Participant

Was I correct in the way that I adjusted the brightness control using a pluge test pattern?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Pluge should work, yes.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS