Which Settings

Home Forums Help and Support Which Settings

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

And when calibrating a new LG 27UD68 UHD IPS monitor, with a Spyder5, which settings on the “Display and Instrument” tab would be best to choose for the “Instrument Mode”, and “Display Correction” drop down menus?

Michael
    Participant

And when calibrating a new LG 27UD68 UHD IPS monitor, with a Spyder5, which settings on the “Display and Instrument” tab would be best to choose for the “Instrument Mode”, and “Display Correction” drop down menus?

After some research, I’ve determined that my LG monitor is an edge lit white LED type, so it seems to me that the ‘Instrument Mode’ should be set to ‘White LED’, and ‘Display Correction’ should be set to ‘WLED AC LG Samsung’.  But, setting the ‘Instrument Mode’ to ‘White LED’ sets the correction back to ‘None’, and setting the ‘Display Correction’ to ‘WLED AC LG Samsung’ sets the ‘Instrument Mode’ back to ‘Generic LED’!  I can’t have both on at the same time…

Michael
    Participant

After some research, I’ve determined that my LG monitor is an edge lit white LED type, so it seems to me that the ‘Instrument Mode’ should be set to ‘White LED’, and ‘Display Correction’ should be set to ‘WLED AC LG Samsung’.  But, setting the ‘Instrument Mode’ to ‘White LED’ sets the correction back to ‘None’, and setting the ‘Display Correction’ to ‘WLED AC LG Samsung’ sets the ‘Instrument Mode’ back to ‘Generic LED’!  I can’t have both on at the same time…

I see from the documentation that I can’t have both at the same time – one precludes the other.  So should I set the ‘Instrument Mode’ to ‘White LED’, or the ‘Display Correction’ to “WLED AC LG Samsung’?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So should I set the ‘Instrument Mode’ to ‘White LED’, or the ‘Display Correction’ to “WLED AC LG Samsung’?

The “White LED” measurement mode is provided by DataColor via the instrument’s firmware, while the “WLED AC LG Samsung” is provided by X-Rite and is meant to be used with the i1D3 line of instruments (but can be used with the Spyder4/5 as well, even if that is certainly not intended by the manufacturers). Either should give similar results, so it’s hard to tell which one is more accurate unless comparing to a more accurate reference (e.g. a spectrometer).

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Michael
    Participant

So should I set the ‘Instrument Mode’ to ‘White LED’, or the ‘Display Correction’ to “WLED AC LG Samsung’?

The “White LED” measurement mode is provided by DataColor via the instrument’s firmware, while the “WLED AC LG Samsung” is provided by X-Rite and is meant to be used with the i1D3 line of instruments (but can be used with the Spyder4/5 as well, even if that is certainly not intended by the manufacturers). Either should give similar results, so it’s hard to tell which one is more accurate unless comparing to a more accurate reference (e.g. a spectrometer).

Thanks Florian. That WLED AC LG Samsung setting just didn’t seem to yield good results, and it turns out that it is rather old. After some experimentation, I got what I believe to be good results from the White LED mode for the Spyder 5. Using all generic settings, I get 99.8% sRGB coverage, but whites just don’t look right – kind of off white. SRGB coverage drops to 98.4% when using the White LED setting, but the whites come out looking much brighter and purer, for lack of better terms. Thanks for your help!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS