Which readings are correct?

Home Forums Help and Support Which readings are correct?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hello.

If I do an interactive reading of the RGB levels in CalMAN with the target set to 6500K,  then do the same reading in DisplayCAL’s interactive measurement, I get inconsistent readings.

I am using the i1 Display Pro meter with the WLED correction in DisplayCAL, and I assume the same correction is applied in CalMAN.

Any Idea why?

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I am using the i1 Display Pro meter with the WLED correction in DisplayCAL, and I assume the same correction is applied in CalMAN

Don’t assume, make sure – in CalMAN, the respective setting is called “Meter Mode (Target Display Type)” and should be set to “LCD (LED White)”, no meter profile.

Steve Smith
    Participant

OK, I checked it and it was on LCD(LED) … There is no choice for LCD (WHITE LED) … Are they the same?

rlso, I’ve noticed that when CalMAN has me adjust RGB high and low, I end up with less contrast in the final result…But not with DisplayCAL when only adjusting RGB high.

Is it not good to adjust RGB low as CalMAN would have me do?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

OK, I checked it and it was on LCD(LED) … There is no choice for LCD (WHITE LED) … Are they the same?

Not a CalMAN user, so I couldn’t say. LED could also mean RGB LED, and without any additional qualifier, it’s hard to know which one it is.

I’ve noticed that when CalMAN has me adjust RGB high and low, I end up with less contrast in the final result

That’s to be expected. You can only add, not subtract from zero, so correcting the black point hue will decrease contrast.

Is it not good to adjust RGB low as CalMAN would have me do?

It’s usually OK to leave black at the native hue, and let the calibration gradually blend to the native black hue relatively close to black, and this is what DisplayCAL does by default.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Yes, RGB LED is also listed as one of the choices (as well as all the other types), so I am left to assume that LCD(LED) means LCD(LED WHITE)… Would have been nice if they listed it that way for reassurance.’

The CalMAN interface is not put together very well…. It’s hard to follow, uses strange language, disorganized, not very linear, and a bit glitchy… If you want to do a calibration in any mode than fully automated, then you have to go all over the place to set it correctly. .. I really thought it would be nicer especially as the CalMAN RGB version is marketed toward the home user… Thank god I got my money back! … Seriously, DisplayCAL is much, much better! It is laid out more logically, and does more (more accurate  profile creations) …I keep coming back to it.

Steve.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS