Which one is correct? I compared 11 products.

Home Forums General Discussion Which one is correct? I compared 11 products.

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Author

Vincent
    Participant

After calibration, there’s a slight bending in the grey colors going from white to black, something that was always there before. This applies to both the MacBook and the Iiyama. Without calibration, there are seamless transitions, but this time, the blacks are dominant. http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gradient.php

Likely to be Apple’s CMM fault and APPs that use it like macOS image viewer. DisplayCAL had a workaround, default settings, to mimic fake idealized profiles expected by the very limmited CMM for apple, desktop color management engine.
    On photoshop it may happen due to limited precision on 8bit images when display profile TRC and image profile TRC do not match , blame PS for lacking dithering without OpenGL10bit tricks.

Hi Vincent,

First of all, happy new year!
    Currently, I’ve received the Dell U2723QE, and I’ve retired the Iiyama.

I’ve tried the things I learned from you on this monitor as well. Additionally, there was a calibration report paper included, which I’ve added. I ignore all kelvin reports of SpyderX.

I’m curious to know which scenario you would choose from the following.

Scenario 1:
    Use in Standard mode, calibrate it (without adjusting the white setting, of course), it leans towards green compared to the MacBook Pro 13″ M1, ignore it.

Scenario 2:
    Switch to Custom Color, adjust the ‘White setting’ using RGB, referring to the MacBook Pro 13″ M1 screen. Calibrate and use it.

Scenario 3:
    Switch to sRGB mode, disable P3, use it without calibration, relying on the provided calibration report. (RGB sliders become deactivated, causing a slight shift towards green in the white balance.)

Scenario 4:
    Switch to sRGB, calibrate with SpyderX. The white settings of the MacBook Pro 13″ M1 laptop and the screens differ, but disregarding this issue. (After all, I can’t edit on the small screen.)

Scenario 2 + Custom profile (to that visually matched white)

When I switch between ICC profiles:
    In sRGB mode = sRGB photo test, There’s very little difference between calibrated and uncalibrated. Generally, the contrast decreases slightly, and color transitions become slightly smoother.

In Native mode = sRGB photo test, I see more differences compared to sRGB. The same changes observed in sRGB result in slightly more variations, mainly affecting the colors.

Photos edit method: Lightroom -> export as JPEG with sRGB embedded (sometimes transfer to Photoshop with sRGB 16bits -> save as JPEG sRGB, 8bits.)

If you are on macOS then ther are high hances to have been using it in the wrong way. if you change OSD preset you must change default display ICC profile in OS settings, then restart the color managed app to notice the change. macOS and Win are the same regarding this ( just happens that macOS desktop is color managed too).

SpyderX Pro on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

AytacFx
    Participant

Thank you, Vincent,

Yes, I am using MacOS, and I’m testing by changing the OSD and OS settings in the same way. Of course, I have created separate profiles for sRGB and native gamut for testing purposes.

When I looked at the calibrated results of other people on the internet, I noticed that our RGB sliders are more or less the same. They have all reduced the Green channel, and when doing a visual match, I am also getting the same results.

Based on your advice, I will then set the native gamut on monitor -> Custom RGB -> RGB 100-94-99, profile it, and start using it without looking back.

Thank you for sharing your experiences!

Viewing 2 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS