Where to learn more about calibration

Home Forums General Discussion Where to learn more about calibration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Les Pestaina
    Participant

I’m new to all this and frankly a bit confused. Can anyone recommend some references to get up to speed on monitor calibration specifically? There are so many terms used in this domain that are new to me, it is hard to follow some of the discussions.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

In a general sense? Some of it is explained in the documentation (e.g. under “Basic concept of display calibration and profiling”). If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.

Les Pestaina
    Participant

A couple places I’ve read that you should set white point on the monitor directly, instead of via the profiling SW.  Is this correct? If it is, how would one accomplish this? Won’t the profile over write whatever is configured in the monitor, once the profile is applied?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A couple places I’ve read that you should set white point on the monitor directly, instead of via the profiling SW. Is this correct?

Yes. The implications of doing it via the video card gamma tables (vcgt) instead has several potential technical drawbacks, e.g. introducing banding if the vcgt is only processed in 8-bits without dithering. Monitor electronics are often more sophisticated than that (unless it’s a really cheap display) in the sense that adjusting monitor RGB gains usually has less chance of introducing banding due to the electronics altering the signal (or driving level of the LCD) in a way that doesn’t have these side effects (or to a lesser extent).

Won’t the profile over write whatever is configured in the monitor, once the profile is applied?

No, the profile just records whatever is measured.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS