What makes the default rendering intent default?

Home Forums Help and Support What makes the default rendering intent default?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Spettro
    Participant

One can designate a rendering intent to be the default one, but I noticed that some programs get it wrong. For example I included a perceptual intent gamut mapping which I sometimes need while processing photos, and I set relative colorimetric to be the default one, but Geeqie always uses perceptual which makes images look horrible. So what makes the default choice the default choice? Is there a tag in the ICC file which designates which is the default mapping, is it just assumed that the default one should be the first mapping table, or is the default mapping stored in some X11 atom?

• This topic was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Spettro.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

One can designate a rendering intent to be the default one, but I noticed that some programs get it wrong.

Most programs ignore the default rendering intent set in the profile. It’s more of a hint, but applications are free to deal with it (or not) as they see fit.

Geeqie always uses perceptual which makes images look horrible

That seems weird. Feel free to attach the profile if you want me to have a look.

Spettro
    Participant

Sure, it’s attached.

Please note that I’m sure I set Perceptual=”Perceptual” and “Saturation=Perceptual appearance”, but now when I open DisplayCal and select that profile in the “Settings” combobox, it shows both as “Perceptual”. Bug?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sure, it’s attached.

Thanks. I notice you’re using ambient adjustment for calibration, which is something I’d not normally recommend – it’ll only affect non-colormanaged components (e.g. desktop, UI elements), color-managed applications will basically undo the effect of this adjustment by virtue of the display profile. If you want to incorporate a viewing conditions adjustment into the profile, you’ll have to use the CIECAM02 options for this.

Otherwise the profile looks fine, although the monitor gamut (Laptop?) seems pretty small.

Please note that I’m sure I set Perceptual=”Perceptual” and “Saturation=Perceptual appearance”, but now when I open DisplayCal and select that profile in the “Settings” combobox, it shows both as “Perceptual”. Bug?

Indeed, that’s a bug. Fixed in SVN r3965.

Spettro
    Participant

Thanks! I will generate a new profile without ambient light level adjustment.

Yes, it is a laptop.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS