Using Xrite i1 for setting white balance only in Windows 10

Home Forums Help and Support Using Xrite i1 for setting white balance only in Windows 10

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Frank Nitsch
    Participant

Hi, for one of my laptops I have decided not to use the full calibration capabilities, but I just wanted to use my Xrite i1 Display Pro for setting the brightness and whitepoint to 6500 K for the two external monitors and the built in display as well.

I could achieve that for the external displays. I performed a factory reset, then went to DisplayCal’s calibration tab and started the process. I have used the dialog for measuring the white balance and brightness and adjusted both monitors using their OSD controls. But when I tried doing the same thing for the internal display I only saw the option to use the built in Color Calibration wizard and it’s sliders for the three color channels. I wanted to adjust them so that the white balance would be correct. But each time I’m dragging them, I see a change in the white balance, but when not moving anymore or releasing them, the image reverts to the initial settings. The sliders don’t seem to have an effect as long as DisplayCal is running. I haven’t found an option for switching this behavior off.

Can you tell me if there is a way to use the i1 Display Pro only as a measurement device that will read the values from the white patch DisplayCal is popping up? And at the same time being able to adjust the Color Calibration from Windows 10? I don’t have access to the original software of the Xrite device btw…

Thank you so much for any advice you can give.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Please see the FAQ.

Frank Nitsch
    Participant

Hi Florian,

thank you for your reply. Do you mean this line item?

Q: Can I use software means to adjust RGB gains if my monitor doesn’t have hardware controls (e.g. laptop/iMac)?

A: Generally, no. These software solutions usually adjust RGB gains via the video card gamma tables (videoLUT), which conflicts with calibration. They cannot be used together.

I had seen that before, but it’s not addressing my point. I understand that the calibration would use the same resources (videoLUT) that would be used for adjusting RGB gains. Therefore it doesn’t make sense and isn’t working.

The point is: I don’t want to run a calibration on the laptop. I just want to adjust its RGB gains in order to come up with a neutral white point. For this I would only need the preparation steps that are used before profiling. The little popup window with the color patches and the other dialog showing the intensities of the three color channels plus the brightness of the screen. But as soon as DisplayCal is running and I am seeing this window and dialog, the RGB gain adjustment sliders in the color calibration wizard of Windows 10 don’t work anymore.

My question would be if DisplayCal could be used only for setting a white point (like 6500 K) and a desired brightness (like 140 cd/m²) and then only using it as a measurement device, allowing me to adjust the RGB gains and brightness on the laptop display until these desired values are matched. DisplayCal would need to “leave the videoLUT alone” in this case, so that the Windows color calibration can do its magic…

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS