Using old i1Pro for new Display without problems

Home Forums General Discussion Using old i1Pro for new Display without problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Stoker
    Participant

Hi guys!

I have an old Spyder 3, but I bought a new Display with DCI-P3 Colospace and LEDs, so the Spyder3 won’t work for me anymore.
    In the past few Days I thought about buying a new Device -> X-Rite Colormunky Display or X-Rite i1 Display Pro, but today I saw an old X-Rite i1Pro (not Display Pro) at my employers printing house. I am allowed to use this for a weekend, that would save me the money for a new Device. Now my Questions:

Does the old i1Pro work with DisplayCal without any Problems?
    Do I need a driver for that Device? I don’t finde one on the website of X-Rite…
    Would you also use the i1Pro or would you discourage because the Device is 10 Years or so old.

Thank you all for helping!

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does the old i1Pro work with DisplayCal without any Problems?

It should. Note the i1 Pro can be finnicky with USB power, so use the original USB cable that came with it if possible (if you use a 3rd party cable make sure it’s not too long and good quality).

Do I need a driver for that Device?

Yes (in DisplayCAL menu “Tools” -> “Instrument” -> “Install ArgyllCMS instrument driver”).

Would you also use the i1Pro or would you discourage because the Device is 10 Years or so old.

If it was handled and stored properly it should work fine, but the way I would go about it is  to use it to create a colorimeter correction for your Spyder, and then using the latter to do the actual display calibration and profiling.

Stoker
    Participant

If it was handled and stored properly it should work fine, but the way I would go about it is  to use it to create a colorimeter correction for your Spyder, and then using the latter to do the actual display calibration and profiling.

Thank you for your expertise, Florian!
    Why would you choose this way? Is it because I could recalicrate my Display every few months with my own Colorimeter or is there an other reason for this?

Will the results with both technics be (nearly) the same?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is it because I could recalicrate my Display every few months with my own Colorimeter or is there an other reason for this?

That, and because colorimeter may be more stable over time, and possibly faster (although I’m not sure about the latter since the Spyders are very slow, so in terms of speed, you probably won’t gain an, or as much of an, advantage).

Will the results with both technics be (nearly) the same?

Yes.

Stoker
    Participant

…and because colorimeter may be more stable over time…

Are you shure about that? As far as I know the Spyder3 uses organic filters which olden over time and Datacolor dissuade people from buying an old Spyder3 because of the possible drift.

My Monitor will reach me today or tomorrow, I will calibrate on next weekend and give account here.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Are you shure about that? As far as I know the Spyder3 uses organic filters which olden over time and Datacolor dissuade people from buying an old Spyder3 because of the possible drift.

I was talking about short-term stability, not long-term. A spectrometer like the i1 Pro should be pretty stable long-term, but it does require regular recalibration when used during display measurements (unless you really only measure a few patches) due to the instrument heating up and the associated black calibration drift of the instrument (I think I recall Graeme Gill, developer of ArgyllCMS, once estimating that an interval of at least about every 30 minutes was required to counteract the effect, and ArgyllCMS will act accordingly).

Stoker
    Participant

Ah, now I understand!
    And creating a colorimeter correction for my Spyder will take only a short time, so that there is no drift with the i1, right?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

And creating a colorimeter correction for my Spyder will take only a short time, so that there is no drift with the i1, right?

Correct, yes.

Stoker
    Participant

Correct, yes.

Thank you very much for your Help! Everything worked.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS