Using DisplayCAL profile loader

Home Forums Help and Support Using DisplayCAL profile loader

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Sol1
    Participant

Hi.

Totally new to monitor calibration and have some questions regarding the gaming and using .icc profiles with DisplayCAL profile loader.
    I have downloaded icc profiles from TFT central until i can get some hardware calibration tool.

Read on the web that you have to have specific tool like Color sustainer or DisplayCAL profile loader or in some games the calibrated .icc profile wont be used, i have successfully added to Windows two calibrated profiles for my two monitors and in the DisplayCAL profile loader popup it says that he is using that two profiles which are also default in color management settings in Windows 10.

1. Now my question is as a total noob, do i have to use DisplayCAL profile loader or any other tool for profile sustaining or is it enough to set it as default in Windows 10 color management?

2. Will it work on all games and applications?

Thanks for the time.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Now my question is as a total noob, do i have to use DisplayCAL profile loader or any other tool for profile sustaining or is it enough to set it as default in Windows 10 color management?

Setting it in Windows isn’t enough. Also keep in mind even when using a tool like the DisplayCAL profile loader, CPKeeper or others, that only the 1D video card gamma table calibration (whitepoint + neutral axis correction) part of the profile will be active in games. If your display has primaries that are reasonably close to the Rec. 709 primaries, this may be enough. Otherwise, you may want to use a tool like ReShade to apply a 3D LUT, for full color correction.

Will it work on all games and applications?

Some (most?) games override the desktop 1D calibration when in fullscreen mode.

S Simeonov
    Participant

When I have to calibrate again, do I have to remove manually the previous installed profile in windows color management settings? Or the displaycal profile loader disables the profile, also is the option “reset video card gamma table” necessary to use when making a new calibration?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

When I have to calibrate again, do I have to remove manually the previous installed profile in windows color management settings? Or the displaycal profile loader disables the profile, also is the option “reset video card gamma table” necessary to use when making a new calibration?

There are no changes necessary when re-calibrating/profiling, everything is taken care of automatically.

S Simeonov
    Participant

There are no changes necessary when re-calibrating/profiling, everything is taken care of automatically.

This includes even if I use a different preset? My idea is to try a new preset.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes. Select the preset, make desired changes (if any), start the measurements, the rest is taken care of.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Yes. Select the preset, make desired changes (if any), start the measurements, the rest is taken care of.

Thank you for your answer 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS