Trying to improve calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Trying to improve calibration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Baserunner
    Participant

I’m an enthousiast calibrator, as in, I want to get near perfect results on my display, a normal Samsung television used as a PC screen.

I spent quite a lot of time figuring calibration out in the last couple of years and recently I started from scratch again. I used DisplayCAL with an X-rite i1Display and imported the settings of the i1Profiler.

My television can do 2 point white balance, but the settings on the lower end of the gray scale are default on 0, while I changed the upper end according to the interactive calibration in DisplayCAL.

The results are in (attached in this post), using the preset of Office and Web (I use my PC for gaming, movies (need to calibrate with madVR) and general web browsing). Some results are not OK, as stated in the validation report and I would like to know if it’s possible to make it more accurate. Is there a way to use the 2 point white balance to help the calibration a bit more? In PC mode on my TV i can not do a lot regarding the settings, the only available options are the white balance, gamma, colour tone (which i left on standard).

Thanks in advance for the advice!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

your verification report is setup to verify against a Rec. 709 target. This requires that the display is adjusted accordingly, or a 3D LUT is used that maps the target into the display color space. But in your case, you probably want to verify using the display profile instead, which means you have to uncheck “use simulation profile as target” on the “Verification” tab.

Baserunner
    Participant

Hi,

That makes sense, thanks 🙂

Whilst fiddling around with the application I somehow managed to get rid of the imported correction for my i1 Display Pro. Importing again doesn’t work, reinstalling the application doesn’t work, trying to remove everything via a search for DisplayCAL in explorer doesn’t work. Also, there are 3 entries per correction (like, 3x the same White LED correction) in the list. What went wrong here?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 7 months ago by Baserunner.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The correction you used wasn’t imported, it came from the online database. Btw, I strongly recommend against using corrections where it is unclear for which actual display device or technology they were created (I’m going to delete that specific correction from the database for this reason).

Also, there are 3 entries per correction (like, 3x the same White LED correction) in the list. What went wrong here?

HCFR puts them into %APPDATA%\Roaming\color, which is technically outdated but still valid. Argyll CMS puts them into %APPDATA%\Roaming\ArgyllCMS or %ProgramData%\ArgyllCMS depending if you imported for the current user or system wide. So, three possible locations that can all contain corrections.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS