Trouble with Color Sync / Resolve Monitor and GUI – Eizo / Ultrastudio / Mac

Home Forums Help and Support Trouble with Color Sync / Resolve Monitor and GUI – Eizo / Ultrastudio / Mac

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Matthieu Abily
    Participant

Hello Florian, Vincent and all the helpful fellows here.

I’m trying to achieve something that should rather straightforward giving i already did it a few years ago. I’ll go straight to the point :

Here is my configuration :

Eizo Cs2420 (so Lcd Gb – R Led / Reg Phosphor LED Family – Dell U2413 etc etc)

Decklink Ultrastudio Mini Monitor (so Yuv 422)

Macbook Pro Retina 2016 with touchbar (so 99 P3) – Catalina 10.15

I1 Display Pro Probe

My goal is to try to have as much as possible a straight chain between my mac in color managed apps (color sync dependant) / Resolve Monitor and GUI. – Mainly for web / iphone / srgb compliants devices / laptop

Here is my configuration on the Hardware of the Eizo (i should add i am note using Color Navigator, so custom profile on Eizo)

Input set to Video instead of Pc in the deep / admin Eizo setup
    Then : Range Limited
    Signal to YUV 422 (all that in accordance to my ultrastudio mini monitor)
    Gamma set to 2.2
    Color Space Native
    and User Gain to configure the interactive WhitePoint to D65 (trying to tweak the green gain as little as possible)

Displaycal Setup is : Resolve / 16 – 235 levels / correction Lcd Gb R Led / Rg Phosphor Led Family as above)
    Then : Interactive / Whitepoint to 6500 K / 100 cd / m2 / Tone Curve As measured
    Profiling on XYZ auto etc etc
    3D Lut to Gamma 2.2 preset (100 percent and all) – vcgt checked

Everything seems A – Ok in the report (passed and recommanded value ok)

Then the laptop…

I tried two things : creating a lut for the GUI to match the Monitor with the 3D Lut in Resolve.
    I followed your tutorial

First, i launched displaycal with the following

Resolve setup – Macbook Screen – Correction 99 P3 – Levels on Auto

Interactive ON
    D65 as whitepoint
    100 cd / m2
    tone curve as Gamma 2.2 preset
    Calibration to Medium

All that just to setup the brightness near 100 cd /m2 with interactive

I quit display cal, launch it back, same setup
    except Interactive OFF (and sometimes white level (cd / m2) as measured)

Then : Profiling Set to SINGLE CURVE + Matrix and Black Point Enabled
    and slider all the way to the left

Create 3D lut after profiling – Gamma 2.2 preset also – vcgt UNCHECKED

I installed the profile the setup the Luts in the proper places with Use Mac Display off in Resolve..
    But the GUI and the monitor are not really close to each other.. the GUI seems a little bit desaturated etc..
    I think that the problem may be with the 3D lut and the black point comp enabled in profiling..

i don’t really know why it does not work

Of course that is setup this way for helping mac os with preview / quicktime and all.

I tried another approach : forgetting about the GUI lut and using Resolve setting “use mac display color for viewer”

I used the laptop preset setup with the same approach except i did not create a 3D Lut
    Settings were also the same, same brightness approach and all.

And this time, with the resolve option, everything between the GUI and monitor match pretty closely (Great !) BUT :

i still have extremely severe banding and crushed black when displaying a file with low levels in quicktime / preview and all despite making use of single curve + matrix + black comp enabled.

I starting to lose my way here, i don’t if the problem lies in the setting for my macbook (maybe i should not have tried for fixing D65 as a whitepoint ? or maybe black comp shoud be off in profiling when using catalina ?)

I don’t know why the Lut for the GUI is not working properly (it is worse with the Lut on than without) or why the Use mac display is behaving better but i still have trouble with apps using color sync..

Would be kind enough to help me ? Did i do something wrong ? Thanks a bunch everyone.

Resolve is set to either Davinci YRGB or
    RCM (color managed) with – output to Rec 709 Gamma 2.2 (project to video levels of course).

Sorry for the lenght of the message, i tried to be as precise as i could.

Best wishes from Paris.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS