Swapped Matrix test

Home Forums Help and Support Swapped Matrix test

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Hi! I created the swapped matrix just to test, but I see no weird colors in Photoshop, is photoshop supposed to be affected by it? Or prohotshop is not paying attention to the Matrix and only to the LUT?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Only applications with incomplete color management implementation (i.e. no support for XYZ LUT display profiles) will show the swapped colors. Photoshop (and other Creative Suite apps) is not affected by this.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Which kind of applications? Have you encountered any? If Adobe apps do not use XYZ LUT + Matrix, then what would be the best kind of profile I can create for it?

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Which kind of applications? Have you encountered any?

Windows Photo Viewer, Firefox with color_management.enablev4 false, Google Chrome. I’m sure there are more.

If Adobe apps do not use XYZ LUT + Matrix, then what would be the best kind of profile I can create for it?

Adobe apps can use any type of profile.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

You are right, Windows photo viewer actually shows all inverted….  but Chrome and Firefox does not. neither any other software on my machine.

You mean it can use any kind of profile, but XYZ LUT + Matrix?  What is the part is not using? the XYZ LUT or the Matrix?

I ask this because I know another person that have the very same machine with the same screen and GPU and he used a “Single curve + Matrix” and he does not have the issue of the white going pink at the top range like I do….

I was looking on the help what are the differences between all of the profiles types, but I can only find the explanation for XYZ LUT + Matrix and inverted, but no mention of what are the differnces with the other 4 kind of profiles on that tab.

It also mention that XYZ is better over Lab for wide gammut, does that means then that the other 4, Curves + Matrix, Single Curve + matrix, Gamma + matrix and single gamma + matrix are not suitable for wide gammut monitors?

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Do you think using ” Enchance effective resolution of colorimetric PCS to device table will help?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You mean it can use any kind of profile, but XYZ LUT + Matrix?

No, “any” as in, well, any 🙂

What is the part is not using? the XYZ LUT or the Matrix?

If a software does not support XYZ LUT, it will fall back to the Matrix. As I said, this doesn’t affect apps with proper color management implementation (e.g. Photoshop always uses the LUT, which is the desired behavior).

[…] what are the differnces with the other 4 kind of profiles […]

Mostly attainable accuracy. Best to worst: XYZ LUT > L*a*b* LUT > Curves + Matrix > Gamma + Matrix.
    But some software may not support LUT-based profiles. My recommendation would be to avoid such software if possible. Other than that, XYZ LUT + Matrix can be used so that accurate software will use the LUT, and incompatible software will atleast fall back to the Matrix.

Do you think using ” Enchance effective resolution of colorimetric PCS to device table will help?

That should be enabled by default unless you manually disabled it. I highly recommend leaving that option enabled (only applies to LUT-based profiles).

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Thanks!!!   Any way to reset the software to factory settings? I think I changed some of the options of the “Enhance….”  some of the gamma options in there, and I do not know what are the defaults.

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Sure, in the “Options” menu, “Restore defaults”.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

I figured why Chrome was not showing the swapped  matrix result, latest versions of Chrome stay running on the background when you quit, so they can deliver notifications and start faster. I had to quit that and restat it so it takes, which prompts me to think, may be Photoshop also need to quit to re read the profiles when it start and show the differences? I mean I know is not reading the matrix because I restarted and still didn’t displayed thing swapped, but wonder it would take other changes made to profiles without restarting, it will keep reading profiles continuosly while open… This is specially important to know when you are profiling papers and overwriting the profiles to keep testing..

Dont worry if you don’t know the answer, I’m just thinking out loud 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

may be Photoshop also need to quit to re read the profiles when it start and show the differences?

Applications generally need to be restarted to pick up (display) profile changes, PS is no exception AFAIK.

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

Bummer…. Specially for creating paper ICCs :-)))

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Specially for creating paper ICCs

What do you mean by “paper ICC”?

Victor Wolansky
    Participant

when you print colors swatches and scan them to create the profile of the paper for the printer, aren’t those ICC files? may be they have a different name….

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Alright, that’s what you meant, I just wasn’t sure. Note that application restarts are usually only required for display profile changes, not if you add a printer/scanner/camera profile.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS