Suggestion for profile settings?

Home Forums General Discussion Suggestion for profile settings?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

sawbach SourceForge

I want to calibrate an LCD display (probably an RGB LED IPS) that will be used for converting vhs tapes (some commercial tapes of movies, and some home vcr recordings of broadcast tv) to digital format and then for editing and color correcting the videos. For the moment, the videos will just be viewed on computer monitors, but I want to preserve options for the future, in case I later want to display them on a tv monitor or with some display technologies that may later be available. Most of the capturing and editing will probably be done in a fairly brightly lit room on the LCD under Windows, but the most of the viewing (for the moment) on a different laptop LCD (probably in Mac OS X) in a dark room.

What are suggestions for good settings for this scenario?
    I realize that given that the source material is vhs, the colors will be very limited compared to what’s currently available with more sophisticated technology. Even so, I would like to optimize the colors that are there. I also realize that it’s possible to just go with default settings, but I would like to push further if so doing may offer even better results.

So which profile type? XYZ LUT?
    Would Advanced Gamut Mapping with Enhance Effective Resolution of Colorimetric PCS-to-Device Table be of benefit, or overkill? CIECAM02 gamut mapping, perceptual appearance rendering intent?
    Would creating a 3D LUT be worthwhile or overkill?
    Since a lot of the viewing will probably be on a Mac or Linux laptop for the time-being, I don’t think madvr is an option. Not sure yet what will be the best viewing app (it will not be Quicktime though for sure).

The number of choices is a bit overwhelming. My main concern is that I do not want to make choices during this project that reduce the number of colors in the video material that I otherwise might have been able to access with future hardware or software.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I also realize that it’s possible to just go with default settings, but I would like to push further if so doing may offer even better results.

The defaults are a good starting point. In your case you may want to use the “Video (D65, Rec. 1886)” preset. To get a more detailed profile with potentially higher accuracy, set testchart on the “Profiling” tab to “Auto” and adjust the number of patches via the slider to your liking.

Would Advanced Gamut Mapping with Enhance Effective Resolution of Colorimetric PCS-to-Device Table be of benefit, or overkill? CIECAM02 gamut mapping, perceptual appearance rendering intent?

I wouldn’t change any of these.

Would creating a 3D LUT be worthwhile or overkill?

Depends on what software you’re going to use. There are some benefits to using a 3D LUT if the software supports it, e.g. the Rec. 1886 mapping is baked into the LUT.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS