Subpar results on 4k Yoga 720

Home Forums Help and Support Subpar results on 4k Yoga 720

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Guy25
    Participant

I calibrated this new laptop twice this morning, and am getting results well below what reviewers stated in their calibration, which is 90% sRGB or above. Both times I calibrated it was 82%.

I’ve never used displaycal on a laptop, but reading around it seems I should just use the laptop preset, and basically leave everything else on default or auto, which is what I did. Here are my settings

and here are my results

Is there anything I could be doing wrong? The laptop is plugged in and in a dark room. Any correction I could use, or other options to try?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

am getting results well below what reviewers stated in their calibration, which is 90% sRGB or above. Both times I calibrated it was 82%.

I would be very careful about what reviewers state in terms of gamut coverage and take it with a big grain of salt unless they describe in detail the method used to calculate the coverage – DisplayCAL reports the quite accurate gamut coverage in CIE L*a*b* units, while many reviews just quote what either the vendor datasheet said or what using the vendor software gave them, which in many cases seems to be based on CIE xy coordinates (so, not an actual accurate measure of gamut coverage, because gamuts are 3D volumes, not 2D, and CIE xy is highly perceptually non-uniform).

Guy25
    Participant

Thanks for the response. The 90% was from notebookcheck, but my mistake, that was the FHD model. The only review that has measured the 4k version is here, 96%sRGB, though they didn’t give their method.

Is there any type of correction I can use for this panel type to get better color, besides auto?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is there any type of correction I can use for this panel type to get better color, besides auto?

It’s probably White LED.

Guy25
    Participant

Thanks a lot! after putting the correction to white LED my sRGB is 89% and AdobeRGB is 68%. This is more in line of what I expected out of the panel.

Guy25
    Participant

Whoops, I spoke too soon. The colors are overall darker and my yellows have turned tan/orangeish, maybe that wasn’t the right correction.

Guy25
    Participant

I managed to get better color, though I’m not sure how. Changed a few things,  let the display warm up at least an hour, turned on white point drift,  also changed temp to 6000k. No correction. It’s now 87% srgb and 64% adobe rgb, looks quite a bit better than it did before.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS