Struggling to match a Dell monitor to a MBPr

Home Forums Help and Support Struggling to match a Dell monitor to a MBPr

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

xtnvieira
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I’m really struggling to visually match my late 2012 Macbook Pro Retina to my Dell 24″ 4K Monitor P2415Q LED monitor, and I’m sure it’s just lack of experience on my part.

I’d like to walk you through everything I’ve done to get a clear understanding where I’m at.

As a primer, I’m trying to calibrate using a Spyder5, and the purpose is for photo editing (I make a few prints now and again, but mostly my images end up online).

I also set my monitors to 120 cm/m2 as that seems to be the prevailing advice for brightness levels when editing photos.

DELL CALIBRATION (Main Editing Monitor)

• Settings: sRGB
    • Mode: LCD (White LED)
    • White Level Drift: Off
    • Black Level Drift: Off

Once I start the calibration, it’s very easy to dial in the RGB/Brightness on this monitor.

Question 1: What’s the difference between sRGB and Photo (D50, Gamma 2.2)? Am I correct choosing sRGB?

Question 2: I have my contrast set to 75%. Is this okay? What is recommended for contrast with these calibrations?

MBPr Calibration

• Settings: Laptop (Gamma 2.2)
    • Mode: LCD (White LED)
    • White Level Drift: Off
    • Black Level Drift: Off

Once I finish both calibrations, I find that the MBP has far too much Blue registering. See attached image.

Question 3: Since I use different “Settings” for each monitor, I noticed that the Whitepoint settings between the 2 are different. Do I need to make sure the “Calibration Settings” are the same for both monitors? For example, the sRGB Calibration Settings > Whitepoint is “Chromaticity coordinates,” but for the Laptop calibration, it is set to “As measured”. Do I need to create change the Laptop Calibrations settings to equal sRGB, or whatever settings I’m using for my Dell monitor?

Question 4: After calibrating both, I decided to try using the Visual Whitepoint Editor to match the two screens. I’m still a bit confused how to use this tool. If I’m trying to match my MBP to my Dell, how do I “apply” a whitepoint change to my Mac’s profile?

Question 5: Also, with the Visual WP Editor when I go full screen, then press “ESC” I end up with a black screen. How do I get out of this? They only thing that works is closing DisplayCal.

Question 6: Is there a way to measure RGB/Brightness without starting a calibration? This really only applies to my MBPr, but when I start a calibration using the “Laptop” setting, it skips the RBG/Brightness test, and goes straight to calibration. My workaround has been to switch the “Settings” to “sRGB”, and starting a calibration so that I can get the same measurement window as I do on my Dell, then once I’ve dialed in my brightness, I’ll cancel the calibration, switch the profile back to “Laptop” then start the calibration over. Is this the best way to measure my MBPr’s RGB/Brightness levels?

Phew. Okay, that was a lot, I admit, but I wanted to be as clear as I could with my issues. Thanks in advance!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Question 1: What’s the difference between sRGB and Photo (D50, Gamma 2.2)? Am I correct choosing sRGB?

The main difference is the target whitepoint. The “sRGB” preset assumes the nominal whitepoint chromaticity of a D65-equivalent (cool white), while the “Photo” preset assumes a D50-equivalent.

Question 2: I have my contrast set to 75%. Is this okay? What is recommended for contrast with these calibrations?

Have a look at the display adjustment guide in the documentation.

Once I finish both calibrations, I find that the MBP has far too much Blue registering. See attached image.

In that case, you should match the MBPs white point to the Dell monitor white via the visual whitepoint editor.

Question 4: After calibrating both, I decided to try using the Visual Whitepoint Editor to match the two screens. I’m still a bit confused how to use this tool. If I’m trying to match my MBP to my Dell, how do I “apply” a whitepoint change to my Mac’s profile?

You can’t apply it to an existing profile. You use the editor on the MBP screen to achieve a visual match to the Dell, then you measure the white on the MBP to set it as target, and recalibrate/reprofile.

Question 5: Also, with the Visual WP Editor when I go full screen, then press “ESC” I end up with a black screen. How do I get out of this? They only thing that works is closing DisplayCal.

This is a Mac OS X quirk that I can do nothing about. You can use CMD+TAB to get back to the main window. A way to avoid this is to not use the zoom button in the titlebar, but to  double-click the titlebar to go fullscreen instead (or holding the OPTION key while clicking the zoom button).

This really only applies to my MBPr, but when I start a calibration using the “Laptop” setting, it skips the RBG/Brightness test

Enable “Interactive display adjustment” on the “Calibration” tab.

xtnvieira
    Participant

Thanks for your responses Florian! I just want to clarify a couple things:

(1) Is sRGB recommended for photo editing, with the assumption that the photos will live online eventually?

(2) I read through the documentation, and maybe I missed it, but I didn’t find anything regarding setting Contrast for calibration…?

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

(1) Is sRGB recommended for photo editing, with the assumption that the photos will live online eventually?

It’s a reasonable choice.

(2) I read through the documentation, and maybe I missed it, but I didn’t find anything regarding setting Contrast for calibration…?

See the TOC under Usage, “Calibrating / profiling”.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS