Spyder 5 Versus X-Rite ColorMunki Display

Home Forums Help and Support Spyder 5 Versus X-Rite ColorMunki Display

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Michael
    Participant

Florian,

Would you recommend the X-Rite Colormunki Display colorimeter over the Datacolor Spyder 5? Would it have the WLED mode necessary to properly calibrate my WLED backlit monitor?

Thanks…

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

S Simeonov
    Participant

Florian,

Would you recommend the X-Rite Colormunki Display colorimeter over the Datacolor Spyder 5? Would it have the WLED mode necessary to properly calibrate my WLED backlit monitor?

Thanks…

I would vote for X-Rite colormunki display, regarding the WLED mode it is in the correction options, when you import it from the software if I’m not mistaken 😀

Michael
    Participant

Florian,

Thanks…

I would vote for X-Rite colormunki display, regarding the WLED mode it is in the correction options, when you import it from the software if I’m not mistaken 😀

After some research, it does appear that the Colormunki Display has a WLED mode.  It’s mentioned in video reviews as being a option in the software.  I think it is a lot faster than the Spyder 5, also???

The only thing that concerns me is that it has been around for a while.  I’m wondering if it is older technology, and/or is in danger of being discontinued and replaced soon.  The software that comes with it hasn’t been updated in two years.

I’m seriously considering buying one.  I already have a new Spyder 5, but the included software does not identify my monitor correctly as a WLED monitor, and there is no way to correct that problem.  And Datacolor’s support isn’t any help.  They just want to blame my monitor, or tell me that I don’t know what a calibrated monitor should look like!

I may just try both, and keep the one that works best for me.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I think it is a lot faster than the Spyder 5, also???

Yes, it is faster, and the sensor is also more precise, but if you really want speed you can have a look at the i1 Display Pro (the ColorMunki Display is virtually the same instrument, but has a minimum measurement time of one second per read – the overall difference to the i1 Display Pro isn’t huge though as both instruments take longer for reading darker patches).

The only thing that concerns me is that it has been around for a while.

That doesn’t matter really. The i1D3 line of instruments (which the ColorMunki Display is part of) are arguably the best colorimeters in the sub-5000 € price range, and DataColor to this day hasn’t succeeded in developing a matching product (to do that, they would need to gather more light into the sensor by adding a lens and use better filters) in the two attempts they made so far (Spyder4 and 5).

Michael
    Participant

I think it is a lot faster than the Spyder 5, also???

Yes, it is faster, and the sensor is also more precise, but if you really want speed you can have a look at the i1 Display Pro (the ColorMunki Display is virtually the same instrument, but has a minimum measurement time of one second per read – the overall difference to the i1 Display Pro isn’t huge though as both instruments take longer for reading darker patches).

The only thing that concerns me is that it has been around for a while.

That doesn’t matter really. The i1D3 line of instruments (which the ColorMunki Display is part of) are arguably the best colorimeters in the sub-5000 € price range, and DataColor to this day hasn’t succeeded in developing a matching product (to do that, they would need to gather more light into the sensor by adding a lens and use better filters) in the two attempts they made so far (Spyder4 and 5).

Thanks, Florian,

You had mentioned the X-Rite instruments before, so I checked into them.  The Colormunki Display software hasn’t been updated in two years, which leads me to believe that support for it isn’t a priority for X-Rite.  The  i1 Display Pro, on the other hand, has new software available, as of July of this year.  The i1 Display Pro seems to be a priority device for X-Rite.

Based on that fact, and on your recommendation, I ordered the i1 Display Pro.  Thanks again…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS