Spyder 2 not found

Home Forums Help and Support Spyder 2 not found

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Bob R
    Participant

Before I purchase a Spyder 5 or equivalent, I’d like to see how well DisplayCAL works with my Spyder 2. I have WIndows 7, x64. Spyder 2 2.3.5 runs just fine, but does not work with a second LED display.

DisplayCAL runs but does not seem to see the Spyder. I have Enabled Spyder 2. I even loaded ArgyII drivers. Suggestions?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have Enabled Spyder 2. I even loaded ArgyII drivers.

That should be sufficient. Check Windows device manager, the Spyder2 should be shown under “Argyll LibUSB-1.0 devices”. If it’s not, follow the instructions in the ReadMe under “Driver Installation” (Windows).

Bob R
    Participant

It shows up under Devices and Printer under Unspecified (Colorvision Monitor Spyder, with the driver identified in Properties as Spyder2.sys). I don’t see it under any category in Device Manager. I sort of expect it to show up as Unknown, with a yellow bubble saying it needs a device driver.

I connected the Spyder to a different USB port and watched Windows identify it and locate a driver. No change in status — still  unspecified.

Any further thoughts?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Have you followed the instructions in the documentation? Installing and switching to the correct driver is explained there.

JarrettH
    Participant

I have a Spyder2 running under DisplayCAL. Might repeat what you covered:

• Install Argyll drivers
    • Enable Spyder2 from the tools menu
    • Use a back USB port (device will not initiate on the front port for me)
    • Do you have the Spyder2 software installed? DisplayCAL needs it
    • With the Spyder2 software it’s listed under USB devices…
    • …after you update the driver software the device becomes its own category at the top
    • Refresh devices in DisplayCAL
    • ctrl+alt+del make sure multiple DisplayCAL processes are not running

Bob R
    Participant

DisplayCAL is installed. ArgyII drivers are installed and the Spyder 2 is plugged into a front USB port (and enabled in the DC Tools menu). There are none free on the back. Device Manager shows it under USB controllers as a ColorVision Spyder2., but not under any Argyll designation. Do I have to uninstall all the ColorVision software?

When I look at Properties for the ColorVision Spyder2, the drvier is spyder2.sys. The Argyll installation folder does not have a driver named for the spyder2.

JarrettH
    Participant

Nah, I’d leave the Spyder software installed. you have to follow this…

http://displaycal.net/#install-windows-driver (the text in blue)

DisplayCAL won’t be able to detect it until you change the driver and vice versa (if you want to return to the Spyder software you have to go to device manager and change the driver it’s using).

• This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by JarrettH.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 11 months ago by JarrettH.

Bob R
    Participant

Thank you. I missed the Choose option.

Bob R
    Participant

I guess I must still be a dummy. DC now says it sees the Spyder2. it would appear that the next step is to click Calibrate & profile. When I do that, a box appears with a Start measurement button, but no instructions as to placement of the Spyder. My assumption would be to center it on that box, but when i click Start, the box disappears and another appears saying Interactive Display Adjustment. Inside that I see “Setting up the instrument, please wait…”

That times out with a message “Error – new disprd() failed with ‘Instrument Access Failure'”

Suggestions?

JarrettH
    Participant

I think you’re supposed to choose madvr on the device drop-down in the first tab, then calibrate, then something pops-up, and another panel with the patches pops up. The start button changes from grey to black when the device is ready. You can change the size of the patches window yourself. The measurement is always done in the centre of the screen. So you’re sure you tried a back USB port? check ctrl+alt+del and make sure displaycal is only running once

Bob R
    Participant

Finally got it to work. I think a system restart did the job. Thank you.

Bob R
    Participant

I have two Dell monitors, an old 2408 and a new 2240.

Is there some way to compare the color gamut maps of the two?

When i set the RGB values for the 2408 all three values were about 80%. Would it make sense to re-run the calibration and see how high I could make those numbers while keeping white? i.e., would I get a wider color gamut or better luminance? Right now, if I move a white window across the gap between the two, there is a very clear difference. I suspect there will always be some difference as the 2408 has a fluorescent back-light and the 2240 is LED.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS