Split calibration and profiling process

Home Forums Help and Support Split calibration and profiling process

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

nik.bernadsky
    Participant

Is there any way to perform display calibration and profiiling in two separate steps in DisplayCAL v. 3.xx as it has been in previous versions (v. 2.x.x)? It significantly matters e.g. when a good calibration state has been obtained but it’s still needed to make an optimization to gamma curve and profile type or to build a profile based on recent measurements, or when a program crashes while switching to profile step. Measurements have been done, curves are built and loaded to video LUT  but there is no command or button to profile the display using current calibration state. To start calibration and profiling all over again is too time consuming: newly started ‘Calibrate & Profile’ process simply discards the recently made measurements and settings, making additional 30+ minutes or more of waiting. How can one do it without switching to previous versions of the software?

Now I use old 2.6.0.0 version of DispcaGUI to perform this trick.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I understood you correctly, you want to profile on top of an existing calibration? This is still possible. Select the previous profile under “Settings”, then disable interactive adjustment on the calibration tab and set whitepoint as well as tone curve to “As measured”. The “Calibrate & profile” button will turn into “Profile only”. Clicking it, you’ll be asked if you want to use the existing calibration or linear.

nik.bernadsky
    Participant

Thank you Florian for your reply, that has worked.

Is it still possible to stop the process right after the calibration phase to control its results before characterization as it was in versions 2.xx, or profiling is now necessary for successful completion of the previous procedure? Anyway, separate access to calibration and characterization procedures could be very useful for some cases. I understand that current “one-button” system is more reliable and fool-proof but nevertheless not always the most convenient. So what I have to do to get the VCGT calibration curves only, without subsequent characterization?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is it still possible to stop the process right after the calibration phase to control its results before characterization as it was in versions 2.xx

No, I don’t see that as particularly useful. You can just create a simple matrix profile from a very small testchart to have almost the same turn-around time wise (i.e. drag the patch amount slider all the way to the left).

nik.bernadsky
    Participant

Thank you Florian.

One else question. Is it possible to measure chromaticity coordinates  for display primaries and secondaries in online mode while adjusting them via monitor 6-axis controls (RGB/CMY and their hue/saturation) as it’s performed for white point? There is a wide gamut monitor that is to be tuned to comply sRGB primaries but with custom white point different from native/factory one.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by nik.bernadsky.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I generally recommend against the use of 6-axis controls or similar because they may introduce nonlinearities into the display response. That said, there is no straightforward way to adjust the primaries using DisplayCAL because ArgyllCMS doesn’t offer that functionality. If you’d like a more “traditional” calibration approach, HCFR may be an option.

nik.bernadsky
    Participant

Thanks 🙂

I’d prefer to use the full display gamut but some of my colleagues use a half-baked color management workflow where Adobe CC apps do support CMM but Corel Draw does that only halfway by mapping even LAB and CMYK to the selected RGB workspace instead of monitor profile color space, some apps those are using internal sRGB space, and some other apps like Sony Vegas etc. video editing software those are not color managed at all. And else, there is no efficient solution for OS-level color management for UI items on wide-gamut displays in Windows environment.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by nik.bernadsky.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS