Simple display calibration help for photographer

Home Forums Help and Support Simple display calibration help for photographer

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Silvio
    Participant

Could you please get me started with calibration of my Dell Ultrasharp (ips panel) display for photography. I’m halfway a busy wedding photography season doing postprocessing  and work will start piling up. Files will be edited in PhotoshopCC & LightroomCC.

Up until now I’ve always used a LaCie Blue Eye 2 calorimeter with LaCie Blue Eye Pro software for simple calibration with really satisfactory results.

link to TFT central Blue Eye 2 device review:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lacie_blue-eye_2.htm

With settings 6500K, gamma 2.2 and 120 cd/m2 the Blue Eye software took care of profiling and it installed the icc-profile into the correct Windows system folder. However after switching to a new Windows 10 (64bit) system the latest Blue Eye software no longer recognizes the device and the old profile is not retrievable. LaCie support has proven slow and not first time fix proof in the past, so I will be happy to start using DisplayCal from now on and promote it.

I’ve read the extensive install & settings info and viewed some user videos on YouTube, but for a mere mortal photographer it looks like rocket science with the sheer number of settings.

What I’m looking for is simply how to calibrate and profile my display with those settings ( 6500K, gamma 2.2 and 120 cd/m2 ) and how to choose the correct steps to do this in DisplayCal. So far I’ve learned my device should be listed as i1 Display 2.

Now I’m wondering:

• which menu settings & options do I pick to get there (things like : 3dLUT only ?)
    • no advanced setting needed?
    • will DisplayCal automatically install the icc  profile (what type do I pick and at which location)
    • do I have to copy the icc profile into a Windows folder as well?

Your help will be greatly appreciated (clients as well) and I look forward to becoming a satisfied user.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

it may look more daunting than it really is – the only part where you have to jump through a few hoops is to install the Argyll CMS driver for your Blue Eye 2, but this only needs to be done one time (menu “Tools”, “Install Argyll CMS instrument drivers…”, then follow the instructions. In case you get stuck, there’s also more detailed instructions in the documentation).

Pick “Office & Web (D65, Gamma 2.2)” under “Settings”. Don’t change anything else. Click “Calibrate & profile”, start the measurement and adjust the display with the guide of the colored bars, then continue on to calibration & profiling. The process is automatic from here on, you’ll be offered to install the profile once it is finished.

Silvio
    Participant

Thank you Florian for this quick reponse; I will get things started and report.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS