Screen too dark after calibration

Home Forums Help and Support Screen too dark after calibration

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Gruzer
    Participant

HI.
    recently i get new monitor
    with VA panel(before i work on Dell U2312HM IPS)
    and jump from ips to va panel not best idea(VA have good black color this only one plus)
    so i want to calibrate it
    and i find my old spyder2Express
    install DisplayCAL(with correction matrix) run calibration all default , gamma 2.2

but each time i calibrate display i get very dark screen and all details that was in dark areas was turned to not visible and just black spot

So what is ask if the old spyder2 can calibrate correct new displayes with displaycal correction matrix ?
    and upgrade to new spyder5Express/Pro  will fix the problem ?(in my Area we have only Spyder for some reason and i can find ColorMunki at all)

Thx for help

Few picture as example

top not calibrated check details under bridge

Not Calibrated

Calibrated picture loose all details under bridge

Calibrated

• This topic was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Gruzer. Reason: fix images sizes

Florian Höch
    Administrator

A few notes:

1. Photos taken from a screen are not a good way to convey color information.
    2. The uncalibrated result, although it may be more pleasing to you, is not necessarily the correct one.
    3. Make sure you are either using black point compensation or perceptual intent in your image viewer.
    • This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Florian Höch.

Gruzer
    Participant

A few notes:

1. Photos taken from a screen are not a good way to convey color information.
    2. The uncalibrated result, although it may be more pleasing to you, is not necessarily the correct one.
    3. Make sure you are either using black point compensation or perceptual intent in your image viewer.

1. agree not a best idea , but it’s was little bit difficult to explain so i think its was good way to show problem, later checked on TN panel and understand its will more difficult to see problem.

2. fully agree

3. not found this option, “using black point compensation” in DisplayCAL.

But i use custom gamma and set black output offset to 0% and black and white color drift compensation not shure which of them did the trick , but for now its look much beter at least i see details where they should be.

additional qestion after calibration i get on white and light gray i see almost imperceptible something like green tint (Samsung VA Panel) if this any way to compensate or remove this tint.

and other question if buy spyder5, if its improve result or time of calibration

Thx for help

Florian Höch
    Administrator

not found this option, “using black point compensation” in DisplayCAL.

I meant in the image viewer/editor you’re using – e.g. in Photoshop, BPC is always on for display color management.

But i use custom gamma and set black output offset to 0% and black and white color drift compensation not shure which of them did the trick , but for now its look much beter at least i see details where they should be.

That could indicate that the image viewer/editor you’re using is not color managed.

additional qestion after calibration i get on white and light gray i see almost imperceptible something like green tint (Samsung VA Panel) if this any way to compensate or remove this tint.

Depends if the tint is coming from quantization (likely) or if the calibration and profile could be more accurate in terms of grayscale tracking. As you have used defaults, the latter seems less likely, but you could try reducing calibration speed to “medium”.

and other question if buy spyder5, if its improve result or time of calibration

The Spyder5 should be more accurate than the Spyder2, but not faster from what I know (I don’t own a Spyder2).

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS