Screen can only be dimmed with xrandr, how to keep calibration?

Home Forums Help and Support Screen can only be dimmed with xrandr, how to keep calibration?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Zikaeroh
    Participant

I have a bit of a strange issue. My laptop (a Lenovo Yoga X1 OLED running Arch Linux) doesn’t respond to regular brightness utilities. Instead, there’s a hack to read the current brightness value that the video driver would normally set, and instead dim the screen by using xrandr to actually change the screen’s brightness (xrandr –brightness <0.00-1.00>). This is dumb, but generally works okay because it’s an OLED screen, and changing the pixel brightness really does dim the screen.

However, when it comes to calibration, I can make a profile perfectly, and apply it, and it looks much better than before calibration, but, the moment I change the brightness, the xrandr change blows the calibration away. Re-applying the calibration brings the brightness back up to 100%, but does actually re-calibrate.

Is there any way to make the calibration immune to xrandr’s brightness modification, or is there another tool that does the same thing that xrandr is doing (directly change the brightness) within the calibration stuff?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

there’s not really a way around the requirement to control the lighting for color consistency unfortunately. So it’s either-or, have the display adjust itself to the ambient light which is not suitable for color-critical work, or control the light and have the display set to a fixed brightness. The only alternative in your case that I see is to disable the xrandr brightness adjustment and have several profiles with different peak brightness calibration instead, but you’d have to switch these manually (or maybe concoct a scripted solution).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS