Samsung TV HDR calibration: Only PGenerator with correct gamma reproduction

Home Forums Help and Support Samsung TV HDR calibration: Only PGenerator with correct gamma reproduction

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Alexander B.
    Participant

I have used Calman Home for Samsung with PGenerator and HDFury Linker for HDR meta data injection to calibrate the basic settings of my Samsung Q85R tv. Later I tried to create a 3D LUT for Davinci Resolve with DisplayCal. In doing so, I noticed that the tv often displays HDR with a significant gamma offset, which cannot be compensated satisfactorily with the tv settings. For example a 50% patch is displayed with ~150 nits instead of ~95 nits while the peak brightness is the same.

In the following cases the hdr gamma reproduction of the tv is too bright:

• PGenerator as pattern source with Upscaling to UHD resolution (via HDFury Linker)
    • Davinci Resolve pattern source (Decklink card)
    • Graphics card connected to the tv and HDFury Linker for hdr meta data injection

In the following cases the hdr signal is displayed correctly:

• PGenerator as pattern source at 1080p resolution
    • Davinci Resolve timeline with custom-created patches (Decklink card / no matter which resolution)

As the Davinci Resolve timeline displays hdr correctly but the build-in pattern generator not, the 3D LUT darkens the image by mistake. To conclude, PGenerator would be the only suitable pattern source for 3D LUT creation in my case. But it is not supported by DisplayCal.

I may try to add PGenerator to DisplayCal by myself. Can you give me some hints, where I need to look in the source code?

Thanks!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS