Samsung 4K TV Calibration – Redo needed?

Home Forums Help and Support Samsung 4K TV Calibration – Redo needed?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Shankar Narayanan
    Participant

I have been calibrating  my monitors with an i1Display pro. I recently got a Samsung 4K TV that I am using as a PC monitor. Xrite i1profiler did a lousy job. Monitor was too dark and dingy gray. I have now calibrated that TV using DisplayCAL.  I was shooting for 6500K at 160 Luminance. I am happy with the results. They are attached here.

I realized that I did not uninstall the Xrite software before installing DisplayCAL. Is that an issue? Should I redo my calibration after uninstalling Xrite?

Thanks

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Shankar Narayanan. Reason: Attachment added
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

I realized that I did not uninstall the Xrite software before installing DisplayCAL. Is that an issue? Should I redo my calibration after uninstalling Xrite?

(Windows)

i1Profiler, its OEM variants (Dell, Viewsonic.. ) and other calibration tools like Basiccolor Display usually set its own LUT loader application at OS startup/user logon. I mean, they use its own aplication to load ICM’s profile  1D LUT calibration into graphics card to fix grey/gamma.
    AFAIK all of them use low precision LUT loader which can result in after-calibration banding in grey gradients… even if graphics card can handle high bit depth LUT contents.
    It could also limit futher high precision LUT loading attempts unless you reboot the computer, no matter if you close those other apps before starting DisplayCAL, so when DisplayCAL uses its own loader (high precision) to load 1D calibration into graphics card for its profilling stage… LUT contents may be truncated to 8bit and be measured in that way. DisplayCAL does its job in a proper way, but OS/ graphic card driver refuses to work in high precision for LUTs. That means that TRC curves stored in profile may not be as neutral as you wish, or not as neutral as profile LUT calibration + graphics card actually behave after a reboot or removal of such LUT loader apps.

You can simply disable those LUT loaders launching, keeping just DisplayCAL loader. No need to uninstall the other tool.
    There are tools to disable that startup applications like “autoruns” or in modern Windows take a look in “startup” tab in Task manager. Xrite LUT loader is called XRGamma or something like that, I do not remember the exact name.
    Disable them from launching at startup/user logon, then reboot and you are done.

If you want to user i1Profiler later (so you did not uninstall it) for test it in another display, just remember to reboot after it ends its calibration & profiling because it is going to limit LUT precision for ALL apps.
    IDNK if this issue is related to graphics cards vendor drivers or to Microsoft. IMHO, the later is the culprit since newer Windows versions seem more prone to those LUT trucation issues.

Usually what I’ve explained above abut DisplayCAL profiles TRC curves “limited” because of LUT truncation caused by another app without a reboot is not an issue.
    I would say no need to redo that time costly XYZLUT matrix but if you spot some issues in gradients, may be word re doing it, otherwise don’t worry about it.

Shankar Narayanan
    Participant

You can simply disable those LUT loaders launching, keeping just DisplayCAL loader. No need to uninstall the other tool.
    There are tools to disable that startup applications like “autoruns” or in modern Windows take a look in “startup” tab in Task manager. Xrite LUT loader is called XRGamma or something like that, I do not remember the exact name.
    Disable them from launching at startup/user logon, then reboot and you are done.

Thank you. That’s what I have done . I load the DisplayCAL profiles at startup for my 3 monitors and let Windows know that I am managing the display profiles.

I wasn’t sure if the previous xRite settings would cause an issue for DisplayCAL during calibration.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS