Resolve LUT for GUI Viewer + Profile Loader both needed?

Home Forums Help and Support Resolve LUT for GUI Viewer + Profile Loader both needed?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Nepumuk
    Participant

Hi,

I want my (directly connected) display to be calibrated for the work in Davinci Resolve. I’m using Windows 10. In your guideline “Creating a 3D LUT for the GUI color viewer” I’m advised to install the profile on the system basis – so being loaded via the profile loader and in addition to this using the created 3D LUT in Resolve for the “3D Color Viewer Lookup Table” entry. I just wanted to ask, if that is really the correct way, as I thought that would then apply the profile twice?

Thank you very much for the support!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I want my (directly connected) display to be calibrated for the work in Davinci Resolve. I’m using Windows 10. In your guideline “Creating a 3D LUT for the GUI color viewer” I’m advised to install the profile on the system basis – so being loaded via the profile loader and in addition to this using the created 3D LUT in Resolve for the “3D Color Viewer Lookup Table” entry. I just wanted to ask, if that is really the correct way, as I thought that would then apply the profile twice?

Yes, this is correct. The 1D calibration will be applied system-wide in that case, which is why the 3D LUT must not include it (untick “Apply calibration (vcgt)” on the 3D LUT tab).

Nepumuk
    Participant

Ahhh – now I get it. Makes sense – thank you very much!

residentjack
    Participant

So just to confirm that I am understanding everything correctly. If I am grading on a laptop with only one screen and have followed the directions to create a 3D Lut for resolves 3D Viewer GUI, and have made sure to “uncheck” use “vcgt” in the 3D Lut section, I should be fine?

My concern is that I do notice a gamma shift affecting the 3D Viewer in the Color tab in Resolve with the profile loaded. I was expecting for the loaded profile to have zero effect on the 3D Viewer, but perhaps that’s where I’m misunderstanding things. Please let me know if it is normal that the loaded profile will have an effect on the entire Resolve GUI as well as on the 3D Viewer with the LUT Lodaded.

Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

If I am grading on a laptop with only one screen and have followed the directions to create a 3D Lut for resolves 3D Viewer GUI, and have made sure to “uncheck” use “vcgt” in the 3D Lut section, I should be fine?

Correct.

residentjack
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I’m having a big problem. The 3D Lut I created for my laptop GUI in resolve seems to be working great. When I view the video on my Samsung phone which has a pretty good display, the colors, brightness, shadows all seem to be pretty close to what I’m looking at in the “color” tab of resolve with the 3D Lut applied. HOWEVER, even though I installed it also as a profile, my laptop calibration is WAY OFF. I can’t figure out what’s going on or how to fix it. Have a look at the screenshot to see the drastic difference from the “accurate” 3D Color Lut in the GUI on the color tab, and what the video looks like on VLC, Windows Media Player, or even Chrome in Vimeo. Way Off….

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Windows Media Player, like most Windows applications, has no notion of color management.

Remember, a 3D LUT is a baked transform. So, to get the same result in ICC compatible software, either:

• Apply the 3D LUT, e.g. in Photoshop, create a new Color Lookup adjustment layer and load the 3D LUT, then create a custom softproof with device to simulate = your display profile + preserve RGB numbers (both the 3D LUT and custom softproof need to be active).
    • Or create a custom synthetic ICC profile by dragging and dropping your display profile onto the synthetic ICC profile creator, then selecting the same colorspace as used for the 3D LUT as source under “preset” and also the same tone curve. Enable BPC, then save the profile and assign it to the image in your graphics application.

residentjack
    Participant

Hi Florian,

Thank you for your quick reply. I’m sorry, but your answer is a little over my head 🙁 What is the synthetic ICC profile creator? I would love to try the second option you suggested, but I have ZERO clue as how to go about doing so. If you don’t mind, could you explain it for a beginner.

Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

The synthetic ICC creator is one of the standalone apps that come with DisplayCAL. Open it, then drag & drop your ICC display profile onto the window. This will read the color primaries as well as black and white from the profile, but we are only interested in the black and white level. Assuming you have created a Rec. 709 BT.1886 3D LUT, and want to create an appropriate source profile for use in ICC color managed apps, now select “Rec. 709” under preset and then set tone curve to BT. 1886, also tick the black point compensation checkbox. Then save the profile and install it (right-click, install). It is now selectable in color managed applications.

residentjack
    Participant

Ok, update…

I’m not as dumb as I thought I was… lol. I found the synthetic profile creator and I understand your instructions, all but the following:

1. Which profile do I drag and drop, the ICM profile that I created after I created the 3D Lut for the GUI?
    2. “assign it to the image in your graphics application.” Do you mean just install the profile and load it in the display cal loader?

Thanks again!

residentjack
    Participant

Thank you, Florian.

I think I’m understanding and doing everything correctly, but now the video file in VLC (or Windows Media Player) seems even darker with blacks much more crushed.

I’m not sure I did this correctly…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Does VLC even have ICC support? As far as I know, it doesn’t. To be honest, I don’t know of any ICC compatible video player that allows a choice of source profile.

residentjack
    Participant

So is there anyway for me to see the same colors, and gamma that I see in the color tab of Resolve with the 3D Lut outside of Resolve? Meaning is there a better way to calibrate my screen so the results are not so far off?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You’ll have to use something like MPC-BE with madVR (can use 3D LUTs) or mpv (commandline player, this actually supports specifying a source profile).

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS