Reshade Default

Home Forums General Discussion Reshade Default

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

namefaceguy
    Participant

Hi I was wondering if there was a reason why the patch default for reshade was 175 vs the default in MADVR being 1500.  Is it because of banding or is it there for no particular reason?   Also why is enhance effective resolution of colormetric pcs to device table checked?  Wouldn’t a 3d lut only need low quality pcs to device tables?
    Thank you for all your work spreading calibration love.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi I was wondering if there was a reason why the patch default for reshade was 175 vs the default in MADVR being 1500.

The reason is an almost purely arbitrary but also somewhat pragmatic one. TVs are generally not as linear as computer monitors, and the madVR preset is aimed at characterizing TVs, with people that have quite high baseline accuracy in mind. The ReShade preset is aimed at gaming on a computer monitor. ReShade is also currently limited to 8-bit color lookup table textures internally. Personally I would make all presets default to 175 patches, but the 1500 baseline for TV characterization has long been established.

namefaceguy
    Participant

Thanks for your quick response.  I’m thinking about making some videos showing people how to properly calibrate profiles for regular gaming and mad vr.  I’m aiming more at the monitor gaming crowd and I just wanted to make sure I’m not misleading people.   For a  fairly linear monitor would it be worth it do decrease 3dlut size to 33x33x33 from the default to improve smoothness or is  the trade off in accuracy usually not worth it?  I have been testing for  a couple years now and am disappointed in the documentation of gamma in games and also want to create some sort of database for correct gamma levels in games based on my experience.

I appreciate the service you provide for all of us and hope these videos can increase your web presence and help prevent more redundant questions.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

For a fairly linear monitor would it be worth it do decrease 3dlut size to 33x33x33 from the default to improve smoothness or is the trade off in accuracy usually not worth it?

Not worth it imo, and won’t do much for smoothness (if anything). For games, low bitdepth processing (which introduces banding) seems to be a bigger problem.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS