Quick recommendation?

Home Forums General Discussion Quick recommendation?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

JarrettH
    Participant

Hey florian,

Thanks for helping me in the past (re: black output offset).

My monitor is getting dim after 6 years of use. It’s an NEC EA231WMi (CCFL). I’m thinking of getting a new one, which also means I need a new colorimeter (I have a Spyder2 Pro, which wasn’t made for LED/wide gamut). What colorimeter do you recommend at a  budget price? All I want to do is calibrate to D65 2.2 for photo editing and create a 3D LUT for madvr. As far as monitors go, I can’t afford a lot right now, so I’m thinking maybe the Dell P2417H or HP 25er. I suppose I could sneak the Dell U2417H in, but I want a hardware calibration device. Factory calibration doesn’t last nor is as accurate (right?).

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

the ColorMunki Display is basically the same hardware as the more expensive i1 Display Pro, and offers great performance.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

JarrettH
    Participant

Thanks, Florian. Is that colormunki smile device a no? Would you rather save $100 on a monitor to buy a calibration device? This sounds like a camera question now…put the money in the “lens” as it were.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by JarrettH.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Is that colormunki smile device a no?

The ColorMunki Smile costs around 80$, the ColorMunki Display around $145 (cheaper if you can find a deal). So the question then becomes, does the difference between the two justify the higher price for the latter. The ColorMunki Display has sealed filters (good for longevity), a light-gathering lens (good for precision) and supports a range of display technologies out-of-the-box (the Smile only supports CCFL and white LED – in your case that would probably be enough, and user-created corrections can be used with both instruments).

Would you rather save $100 on a monitor to buy a calibration device?

If I were in a position where I had to make a choice between the two, probably yes, provided that the monitor is still in working condition i.e. panel homogeneity didn’t suffer too much from the backlight aging, and is still bright enough for the environment it is in.

JarrettH
    Participant

Thanks, Florian!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS