Questions about bitdepth and Rec.2020

Home Forums General Discussion Questions about bitdepth and Rec.2020

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

((( atom )))
    Participant

Hi,

I need some explaining here.

I just created a 3D-LUT to convert Rec.2020 Input (within Kodi) to correctly output to my Projector, which understands DCI-P3 colorspace.

One of the devs over at the kodi forum now pointed out that he suspects an error somewhere, since X11 can not handle more than 8 bits. I understand the 24 bits X11 logfile tells me are 3×8 bits, correct.

Now i am quite unsure what I have here.
    (1) Can I still reach DCI colorspace? To my understanding I only have to hit the right color cordinates which should not depend on the actual depth of the signal or am I wrong?
    (2) Is the 3D-LUT just compressing the 10 bit values of the input down to 8?
    (3) If so, what is the best way to make use of the 10 bits? my Projector can handle up to 12.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

(1) Can I still reach DCI colorspace? To my understanding I only have to hit the right color cordinates which should not depend on the actual depth of the signal

Yes.

(2) Is the 3D-LUT just compressing the 10 bit values of the input down to 8?

No. Kodi uses madVR, and the used madVR 3D LUT format is 16 bits per channel in, 16 bits per channel out.

If so, what is the best way to make use of the 10 bits? my Projector can handle up to 12.

madVR dithers down to the output bit depth.

((( atom )))
    Participant

Ok, thx for clarification.

So (2) basically means, if Kodi (I am not using madvr) puts out 8 bits, that is what I have. What does this mean to the dynamic range? Funny thing is, I get a picture wich is way way better than I get with calibrated Rec.709. I don’t see any banding and I get very nice contrast. All this from 8 bits!? So is it like it is in audio, where selling the people higher resolution and bitdepth is mostly marketing and the good old CD format is still very satisfying? For the resolution part it is clear to me that I don’t really need 4 times the pixels, since I sit to far away to see them. For the color it clearly is a huge benefit.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

So (2) basically means, if Kodi (I am not using madvr) puts out 8 bits, that is what I have.

Yes.

What does this mean to the dynamic range?

No relation.

I don’t see any banding and I get very nice contrast. All this from 8 bits!?

If the output is properly dithered, or the source contains some noise, then there will be little difference to a higher output bitdepth picture. It’s not all marketing fluff though, greater than 8 bits output bitdepth can still be desirable.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS