Question comparing software to DidplayCAL

Home Forums Help and Support Question comparing software to DidplayCAL

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Please help me to understand something…

Can somebody explain to me please: I think I might have bought the wrong software…. It seems that CalMAN RGB is designed to only calibrate a monitor, not profile its colors like DisplayCAL does… Am I right?

I have an HDTV connected to a computer and it requires several thousand color patches to properly achieve good color balance. (Like DisplayCAL does)… I can’t find a setting anywhere to increase the color patches (Or even to use them )to profile my monitor’s colors.

What’s the point to only calibrate if you’re not also going to profile?

Very confused at $200.00 … Think I’m going to try get my money back, then donate here!

Rrrr…

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It seems that CalMAN RGB is designed to only calibrate a monitor, not profile its colors like DisplayCAL does… Am I right?

I was under the impression that CalMAN RGB does profiling as well. If so, the profile should be visible in Windows color management settings.

What’s the point to only calibrate if you’re not also going to profile?

If a monitor/TV behaves very linearly, and its primaries are close to a known standard like Rec. 709, 1D calibration may be enough to get satisfactory results. Especially for TVs that doesn’t seem to be always the case though, and when you really want a high level of color accuracy, there is not really a way around profiling.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Yes, I see that it does do a profile, however, it’s only a very small primary run involving a handful of patches… Not nearly enough to correct my HDTV as a computer monitor.  highly over saturated reds… DisplayCAL is way better!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS