Problems trying to use Huey Pro calibrator with DisplayCal

Home Forums General Discussion Problems trying to use Huey Pro calibrator with DisplayCal

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

ariznaf
    Participant

New user here.

I have arrived to these program seeking for open source calibration software.

I have a Huey Pro calibrator since a few years ago.

It worked OK for years.

But after some windows updates (now I am using win 10, last version) I cannot get accurate results from the official software.

It seems to work properly, but after using it my monitor turns worse that it was previously, with a magenta cast.

I read about displayCal and Argyll, and decided to give it a try (before throwing my calibrator to trash can).

I have installed the software an it identifies properly my display and my calibrator (displayed as huey).

But when I click the “begin measure” button I get a dialog box with the  following error: “Error- new_disprd failed with ‘Instrument Access failed’

This calibrator doesn’t need a device driver (according to your documentation) but I have tried to install Argyll device drivers (activating in windows the option to not require a signed driver) with identical results.

What am I doing wrong?

I attach the logs.

Thank you very much for your kind help

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

sorry, the logs you attached are not the complete set of files.

This may be an USB (3.0) connectivity issue. If you can, use an USB 2.0 port (or a powered external USB 2.0 hub).

ariznaf
    Participant

Thank you very much for the answer, I will see if I can connect it to a usb 2.0, I have read in your tickets that there are problems with usb 3.0.

It is connected to the usb ports in my monitor which are 2.0, but I am not sure if is connected to usb 3.0 or 2.0.

That is a usb 2.0 hub and I supposed powered by the monitor itself (a Lenovo L220XW), isn’t it?

The zip I attached is the complete directory of logs under displayCal directory, after running the app.

How should I provide the logs? Where are they?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

It is connected to the usb ports in my monitor which are 2.0, but I am not sure if is connected to usb 3.0 or 2.0.

Also try connecting directly to the computer.

The zip I attached is the complete directory of logs under displayCal directory, after running the app.

That’s weird. DisplayCAL.log is missing, for example.

ariznaf
    Participant

Finally, I have bought a i1 display Pro second hand (in eBay). I found it with good price.

The Huey was not working properly, it produced a strong color cast using the official software.

That was the reason of  trying displayCal, but I have read that the problem is the filters of the Huey degrading with time.

You can clean them, but it seems not to be easy neither reliable, and the price of the i1 was really good.

I woul like to try displayCal with it.

How can I have displayCal running side by side with the official soft without problems?

Which are the advantages of displayCal over the official soft?

One of them may be the ability of displaying the monitor profile and comparing it with sRGB or other standard profiles. Are there others?

By the way, when I see the profile I can compare the profile of my monitor against sRGB, but there is no AdobeRGB profile.

Where is the AdobeRGB profile?

thank you again.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

How can I have displayCal running side by side with the official soft without problems?

As long as you don’t have them open at the same time (because i1 Profiler will grab the instrument when it’s running), all should be fine.

Which are the advantages of displayCal over the official soft?

Potentially more accurate calibration and profile (depends on the monitor), more powerful verification options.

By the way, when I see the profile I can compare the profile of my monitor against sRGB, but there is no AdobeRGB profile.

The AdobeRGB-equivalent profile that ships with ArgyllCMS is called ClayRGB1998.

ariznaf
    Participant

Thank you Florian.

I will try displayCal with the new calibrator.

I thought there may be conflicits between this soft and x-rite’s both trying to change de active profile and graphics card LUT with their own profile.

I will use ClayRGB to see how my monitor’s profile compares to the AdobeRGB color space.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I thought there may be conflicits between this soft and x-rite’s both trying to change de active profile and graphics card LUT with their own profile.

You can safely disable the X-Rite calibration loader, but that’s more an optimization than a necessity.

ariznaf
    Participant

I have received my i1 display pro calibrator this afternoon.

I have installed the x-rite software and it works correctly and calibrates my monitor correctly.

I have tried displayCal, but I keep getting “new_disprd  failed with instrument access rail” errors when I hit the calibrate and measure  button (displayCal seems to detect i1 pro correctly).

I have tried different usb ports with the same results.

I attach the logs.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator
    hid_open_port: Failed to open path '\\?\hid#vid_0765&pid_5020#7&1623ec77&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}' with err 18
    2018-03-22 22:20:26,010 hid_open_port: Failed to open path '\\?\hid#vid_0765&pid_5020#7&1623ec77&0&0000#{4d1e55b2-f16f-11cf-88cb-001111000030}' with err 18
    2018-03-22 22:20:26,012 dispread: Error - new_disprd failed with 'Instrument Access Failed'

Are you absolutely sure you have none of the X-Rite programs open? This is exactly the type of error you would get if the instrument cannot be accessed because it is in use.

I have tried different usb ports with the same results.

Not a USB port problem, as you already used the instrument successfully with the X-Rite software. If it were an USB problem, the X-Rite software wouldn’t be able to access it as well.

If all else fails, uninstall the X-RIte software.

ariznaf
    Participant

I have tried everything.

I have disabled x-rite tray in order to not get in conflict with your software.

Then I have tried to uninstall x-rite software and tried to use displayCal.

Same results: it detects the profiler but when you try to start calibration it fails with above error.

I have tried displayCal in my MS surface pro3 and it worked correctly without even installing a driver or x-rite software.

I have no clue of what may be going on.

i1 Profiler works correctly, at least.

By the way, i1 profiler seems to produce icc version 4 profiles that your software does not load (in order to display the monitor capabilities with AdobeRGB).

So displayCal does not read or produce icc version 4 profiles, right?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I have tried displayCal in my MS surface pro3 and it worked correctly without even installing a driver or x-rite software.

The i1Display Pro uses the generic MS Windows HID driver. You could try switching to the ArgyllCMS driver (in DisplayCAL menu “Tools” -> “Instrument” -> “Install ArgyllCMS instrument driver”. You can check which driver is being used in device manager afterwards, ArgyllCMS devices will show up under “Argyll libUSB 1.0 devices”).

i1 profiler seems to produce icc version 4 profiles

You can choose the ICC version in i1Profiler (v2 or v4).

So displayCal does not read or produce icc version 4 profiles, right?

No. ArgyllCMS only supports ICC v2.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS