Patches question

Home Forums Help and Support Patches question

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Steve Smith
    Participant

Hello Florian.

Do the patches for profiling in DisplayCAL come in a file ending in (.cfx) ? … Am I able to take this file and use it in another application?… iProfile has a Pantone file ending in .cfx which has about 1200 patches in it. But I’d like to use more…. Is it possible?

Where are your patches located?

Thank you.

By the way, believe it or not, I actually got my money back from CalMAN! … Whew! Close call! 🙂 … Never leaving DisplayCAL again!!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Do the patches for profiling in DisplayCAL come in a file ending in (.cfx) ?

After you’ve created a profile, the patches are saved to a .ti1 file alongside the profile (hover the profile selected under “Settings” to get a tooltip showing the location where it is saved). This is a text file in CGATS format.

By the way, believe it or not, I actually got my money back from CalMAN! … Whew! Close call! 🙂 … Never leaving DisplayCAL again!!

I’m happy if the software is useful to you.

Steve Smith
    Participant

I’m sorry, I don’t think I stated my question properly… What I’m looking for are all the patches in the program. (Maybe inArgyll) … Can I use the entire database of color patches all in another program? … Transfer over a file or something?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I’m sorry, I don’t think I stated my question properly… What I’m looking for are all the patches in the program. (Maybe inArgyll) … Can I use the entire database of color patches all in another program?

They don’t come from a database – they are created on-the-fly using an algorithm. There are some smaller preconditioning patch sets included in DisplayCAL though, and you can find them inside the “ti1” folder (in the application bundle under Mac OS X), but they are of limited use.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Oh, I see, thank you… So much for that idea! Lol..

Florian, do you know if there is such a thing as a free large patch set available somewhere? … Could I import them into iDisplay to get better profiles?

Thanks.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

BabelColor PatchTool can convert CGATS to CXF, but it’s not free.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks! I’ll look into that.

One final thing:  Am I able to to use a grayscale calibration created by CalMAN along with a color profile created by DisplayCAL?

How do I do this? …How to combine? … (Settings?)

Or do they need to be created together by the same program?

Thanks!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Am I able to to use a grayscale calibration created by CalMAN along with a color profile created by DisplayCAL?

Yes. In DisplayCAL disable “Interactive display adjustment” and set tone curve to “As measured” on the “Calibration” tab. The button at the bottom should switch to “Profile only”. When clicked, you’ll be asked if you want to use the current calibration.

Steve Smith
    Participant

Thanks!

What about combining an existing color profile from DisplayCAL with an existing calibration from  CalMAN?

So that the result will be the creation of a new .icc file containing both the existing calibration (from calman) and the existing profile from (display cal)

How do I combine existing data? (Already created).

🙂

• This reply was modified 7 years, 6 months ago by Steve Smith.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

What about combining an existing color profile from DisplayCAL with an existing calibration from CalMAN?

Not possible. When the profiling measurements are already done, they characterize the device in a specific state, and changing that state invalidates the profile.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS