Newbie Here – Have some questions about calibration.

Home Forums Help and Support Newbie Here – Have some questions about calibration.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Erdo4
    Participant

Hello all,

I’ve bought a calibration device to calibrate my new monitor mostly for GAMES. (ColorMunki Display)

I have calibrated my monitor by using DisplayCAL and applied the profile. Will this new calibrated profile also apply to full screen games?

All I care about calibrated colors while I play games. I feel like it also applied to games but I’m not really sure. I am totally newbie to calibration world. I’m playing mostly Rainbow Six: Siege and using Reshade.

I need to know my next step so I appreciate any help.

• This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Erdo4.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Erdo4.

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

Will this new calibrated profile also apply to full screen games?

Whether or not calibration (whitepoint/grayscale and “gamma” correction) applies in-game depends on the game itself. The profile (color management) will not be used by games. You can create a 3D LUT for full color correction with ReShade though, see the respective Wiki entry.

Erdo4
    Participant

Ty for your answer.

I have some questions, if you answer them I really appricate it.

• I heard about removing ICC profiles after creating 3D LUT for games to not get twice calibrating to games. Does 3D LUT also includes whitepoint/grayscale and “gamma” correction ?
      Do they “apply calibration vcgt” checked in option so they can remove ICC after creating 3D LUT ? Is it really wise idea to remove ICC profile ? I do not want to remove ICC profile nor want it to apply twice with 3D LUT to my games. So all I have to do using displayCAL Profile Loader with exceptions settings as has been told in wiki ? Which is the best way from your experience ?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-display-calibration/2084098-3d-luts-direct3d-opengl-applications-e-g-games-under-windows-4.html#post42200033 this post made me a bit confused.

• Is there any difference between calibrating first and creating 3D LUT from existing profile than calibrating with 3D LUT settings ? I like the way I calibrate first then creating 3D LUT from existing profile. I would like to know if there is any difference that impacts quality.
    • Should I change patch number to higher before calibration for creating 3D LUT ? If yes, to what value? I left it default on my first calibration try. Will it do any good for results If I do that ?
    • About “apply calibration vcgt”.  Should I select it or not for creating 3D LUT ? If I apply calibration to 3D LUT it gives me some kind of warning message about 1D I think ? Which is better and what do I need to do at this point ? This is the most complex point that I didn’t fully understand.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Erdo4.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by Erdo4.

Erdo4
    Participant

Forgot to mention: I mostly use my computer in dim environment. So I need to calibrate my monitor in dark room right? for best results?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I heard about removing ICC profiles after creating 3D LUT for games to not get twice calibrating to games.

Not needed when using the DisplayCAL profile loader. Just add exception(s) for the respective game(s) to reset the video card gamma table.

Does 3D LUT also includes whitepoint/grayscale and “gamma” correction ?

Yes (“Apply calibration vcgt” on the 3D LUT tab needs to be ticked).

Is there any difference between calibrating first and creating 3D LUT from existing profile than calibrating with 3D LUT settings ?

No. You could do it as separate steps or in one go (although all the 3D LUT presets skip 1D LUT calibration by default, but you can enable it if you want).

Should I change patch number to higher before calibration for creating 3D LUT ?

The default should already provide a sufficiently accurate result.

About “apply calibration vcgt”.  Should I select it or not for creating 3D LUT ?

Yes.

Forgot to mention: I mostly use my computer in dim environment. So I need to calibrate my monitor in dark room right? for best results?

It is generally a good idea to control the room light. Especially during measurements, light should shine directly onto the computer screen, for example.

Erdo4
    Participant

No. You could do it as separate steps or in one go (although all the 3D LUT presets skip 1D LUT calibration by default, but you can enable it if you want).

How do I do that?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Set calibration tone curve to something else than “As measured” (e.g. gamma 2.2).

Erdo4
    Participant

So If I set calibration tone curve to gamma 2.2 (which is default) and creating 3D LUT from existing profile with “Apply calibration vcgt” ticked wont skip my 1D LUT settings ?

I’m really sorry If I didn’t understand right. It’s really complicated 🙂

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Correct.

Erdo4
    Participant

Thank you for your time 🙂 If it wasn’t you I would have never get those answers.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS