Need advice and some help

Home Forums General Discussion Need advice and some help

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Ogisrl
    Participant

Hello,

I changed my monitor from U2515H to PG248Q as this computer will rarely be used for photo edit (have macpro for photos). PG248Q is AUO TN 120hz panel OC’ed to 144hz (as I know). Is there any difference in settings for calibration with high refresh rates? Secondly what calorimtric correction should I use? Can I use White LED? (i1Display Pro) Also I would like to ask for recommendations for settings to achieve best contrast and gamma (2.2). So far I found that Auto Black point corrections looks best after calibration. Another thing I want to clarify is gamma setting, what is the difference in relative or absolute in simple words short? 🙂

Lastly I would like to show verification and ask some things about it. Is it good calibration or it can be better with some settings changed? Should gamma be always 2.2 or it should vary?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Calibrite Display Pro HL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Ogisrl
    Participant

Also there is gamma settings in monitor  – 1.8/2.2/2.4(or 2.5 don’t remember exactly). When I try to measure gamma 2.2(monitor) with report on uncalibrated device, it shows ~1.8, when changing it to 2.4 on monitor – it shows ~2.2 on uncalibrated.

Ogisrl
    Participant

I managed to get almost 2.2 gamma. But I now face another problem, don’t know how to call it exactly, but on some pictures (maybe strong compression, in very dark blacks I see pixelated coloration of red and green). Same thing from other computer through hdmi (main PC DP). I assume that problem is with tone curve? Is this fixable while not losing much contrast to some degree?

Pixelation and bad blacks cannot be seen on my Iphone XR, but I can see them a bit on my MB Pro 2015 (calibrated).

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I don’t think this is something you can (or should) “fix” with calibration – if image data has flaws, like non-neutral grayscale due to, for example, camera sensor noise, then the correct approach to “fix” that is to open the image in your favorite image editor and adjust gray balance (e.g. via curves or other means) so that all parts that should be neutral are R = G = B.

Ogisrl
    Participant

Thank you for your reply. I have one more question out of topic but concerning monitors, maybe you’ll know the cause of this. On this particular monitor I get uneven backlight when refresh rate is higher than 60. As you can see in picture added, I am getting darker top left corner and lighter right bottom. Is this a panel problem or manufacturing issue. And should I try to ask my local asus service center to change the panel? I found that I not the only with this model and  same problem.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Ogisrl
    Participant

By the way, pixelation in darks was chrome issue with graphic accelerarion, fixed disabling it.

cremor
    Participant

The PG248Q has a white LED backlight, so you should choose that correction.

About your gamma issue: If you monitor is anything like my AOC Agon AG271QG (which has a very similar panel) you might need to be careful about the manual color settings. For me the default value of all colors was 50 after setting it to manual mode, but the actual native white point is at 65 for all colors. That will lower the contrast ratio and might also influence the gamma.

Also look at the whole gamma curve when choosing a gamma setting on the monitor, not just the average value from the quick report.

The backlight issue in your photos is either backlight bleeding or IPS glow. This is a very common problem for all those panels (all 5 available 27″ 144 Hz G-Sync IPS monitors use the same or a very similar panel from AOC and all have the same quality problems). Try lowering your brightness. I use a brightness of 110 cd/m2 and with that backlight bleeding is nearly invisible and IPS glow is better – but of course your model could be worse than mine.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS