ND Filter and Gain Tricks

Home Forums General Discussion ND Filter and Gain Tricks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Manuel Weber
    Participant

Hi
    I use a NEC PA241W display and wonder if there’s something I could do about my blacks.
    It seems a bit strange an idea, but as I never know about the behaviour of light, I thought, maybe.

Does somebody know if there can be an advantage to lower the overall brightness with an ND filter, get lower blacks, while raising the monitor gain a bit? What would happen to the gammut?

I get warnings from NEC’s setup app if I lower the brightness below 90 cd/m, so there seems to be a non linear curve of the panel at different energy. That led me to think if the opposite “way” would maybe increase (and stabilize) the performance. The monitor is made for much too bright.

Thanks 😉

If there can be any sense to this, I’d order (given not too expensive) and report back.

Best
    Manu

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

interesting idea. The calibration/profiling will work through the filter, so that shouldn’t be a problem.

Manuel Weber
    Participant

i’m in for the cheat 😉

it’s not that expensive, i’ll come back for the results, though there might be filters and filters…

m

chrisisinclair
    Participant

I know darker ND’s do affect color balance but if the calibration is done after it may not matter?

The other issue is how are you going to get the (assuming an ND Gel?) super flat so its uniform across the screen?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS