My profile — is this good?

Home Forums Help and Support My profile — is this good?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

registerthis SourceForge

Much of this is lost on me, but I calibrated my display the other day and am not sure about the result. Here is the profile: http://s27.postimg.org/fug7qtomb/profile.jpg

Basically used default settings on low speed with WLED correction. My monitor is dell u2415, calibrated with munki display. I do not have x-rite or any of that software installed, though I did import the settings or whatever from the CD at startup.

Any tips on how to improve it? Also, could I calibrate at 5500k whitepoint without much loss of color accuracy? It’s much easier on my eyes.

Thank you

• This topic was modified on 2015-12-18 14:57:32 by registerthis.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

looks normal, about what I would expect from that monitor.

Any tips on how to improve it?

You haven’t told me what you’d like to improve yet 🙂

Also, could I calibrate at 5500k whitepoint without much loss of color accuracy?

Absolutely, yes.

registerthis SourceForge

Ah well if it’s normal guess I shouldn’t be too concerned. I was just noticing some banding in the UI of a program I use (blender), the bluish grey of a gradient background. But as long as the profile isn’t terribly off it doesn’t matter too much.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-18 15:20:54 by registerthis.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

From your screenshot I can only look at the gamut.

I was just noticing some banding in the UI of a program I use (blender)

Is this monitor 10-bit capable? If not, you can try to just profile (set tone response on the calibration tab to “As measured”) but then blender doesn’t benefit from the calibration (I don’t think it supports ICC profiles, does it support 3D LUTs?).

registerthis SourceForge

Not 10-bit, from tftcentral “The Dell U2415 utilises an LG.Display LM240WUA-SSA1 AH-IPS panel which is capable of producing 16.78 million colours. We have not been able to verify via the panel spec sheet as to whether this is a true 8-bit module or a 6-bit+FRC panel, but we expect the latter…

So do you mean set tone curve to “as measured” instead of gamma 2.2?

Anyway I can give more screenshots/info, I’m not sure what else to show besides the gamut.

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-18 16:03:02 by registerthis.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Anyway I can give more screenshots/info, I’m not sure what else to show besides the gamut.

With the profile selected under “Settings” in dispcalGUI, click the small “archive” button right next to it and attach it.

registerthis SourceForge

Ok here it is.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Thanks. I think you will get good results even without calibration (the calibration curves are near linear, and the monitor seems to follow an sRGB curve natively which is ok).

So do you mean set tone curve to “as measured” instead of gamma 2.2?

Yes. You can leave everything else as is. When asked if you want to use the current calibration after clicking “Profile only”, select “linear” instead.

registerthis SourceForge

Excellent, thanks I’ll give that a try.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

You may also want to set testchart to “Auto” on the profiling tab and use the slider to set roughly 425 patches.

registerthis SourceForge

I calibrated tonight and the result seems better. I admit I wasn’t sure what you meant by

When asked if you want to use the current calibration after clicking “Profile only”, select “linear” instead.

I don’t recall seeing that prompt. In any case I attached the profile. Thanks again.

• This reply was modified on 2015-12-19 00:01:51 by registerthis.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Looks good.

registerthis SourceForge

Forgive me but one last question. I recalibrated at 5000k white point and my new profile said it covered 98% sRBG, whereas the one I did before was 99%. Is this to be expected or can I improve it, possibly by increasing the patches on testchart?

Florian Höch
    Administrator

No, increasing test patches won’t help. The difference is due to the whitepoint. 98% sRGB coverage is still very high, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Didier Quatrer
    Participant

Hello Florian.
    Your software is really useful.
    I have a credit card without paypal option. Can you add this method of payment to be able to contribute ?

Concerning Blender, you wrote :
    but then blender doesn’t benefit from the calibration (I don’t think it  supports ICC profiles, does it support 3D LUTs?).

Yes, Blender does support 3D Luts : see
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/User:Sobotka/Color_Management/Calibration_and_Profiling#Hook_the_3D_LUT_into_Blender
    and search for
    Create a 3D Display Profile LUT
    From the Tools menu, select “Create 3D LUT…”
    This tools menu option was available in dispcalgui.
    Now, under DisplayCal, we have to enable 3D lut tab in your Options Menu, use you 3D Lut button, check your box “Create 3D Lut after profiling.

Once the 3D lut is generated, we, Blender users, have to edit the config.ocio blender file as mentionned in my above link and add 2 sections to be able to use your Lut.

One question concerning encodings :
    Blender uses 0-255 levels as input, but H264 mp4 (output rendering ) uses 16-255 levels.
    What happens to 0-15 and 236-255 levels ? are they simply ignored ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS