Multiple profiles from one measurement

Home Forums Help and Support Multiple profiles from one measurement

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Sander
    Participant

Hi all, I’m quite new to DisplayCAL, but I already love the software. I assume there’s an option to take one measurement in order to create multiple profiles from it, because I need a sRGB, photo and video profile.

I think the right way to do this is:

Under Profiling, set the quality to high, testchart to auto-optimized with as many patches as you’d like (1553 for me) and then name the profile.

Then go to options -> Measure testchart and uncheck embed calibration curves (use linear calibration will then be auto-enabled and greyed out).

After the measurement, set some calibration settings and then go to options -> Create profile from measurement data and select the measurement file.

I’d like to know how to do this before wasting 2+ hours on the measurement haha.

Thanks in advance,

Sander

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

I assume there’s an option to take one measurement in order to create multiple profiles from it

Yes, but keep in mind that it is not necessary to have several profiles – one profile is sufficient.

Sander
    Participant

Hi Florian,

I meant I want to create one profile, and then create multiple calibrations out of that profile (sRGB and Rec. 709). There is one thing I don’t understand, possibly because of my non-perfect English. When clicking the “Profile only” button, I’m getting a dialog with 2 checkboxes; use linear curves and embed curves. I checked both boxes and it’s measuring right now.

This will give me a clean profile without any calibration applied, right? If so, how do I create both a sRGB and Rec. 709 calibration from the profile?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 10 months ago by Sander.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

I meant I want to create one profile, and then create multiple calibrations out of that profile

That’s not how it works. The 1D calibration only affects whitepoint and grayscale neutrality, as well as the tone curve in non-colormanaged applications. The profile is a complete 3D characterization of the display, in whichever state it currently is (calibration active or not). Profiling always happens after 1D calibration, so it’s not possible to change the calibration after profiling (without doing a complete calibration + profile run again), it would invalidate the profile.

When clicking the “Profile only” button, I’m getting a dialog with 2 checkboxes; use linear curves and embed curves.

If you have a calibration, then you have the choice wether you want to use it – or not. Usually you want the former.

If so, how do I create both a sRGB and Rec. 709 calibration from the profile?

You can’t, for the reasons outlined above. If you want to change calibration parameters, you always have to do a complete calibration + profiling run. You probably need to explain why you think you need multiple calibrations.

Sander
    Participant

I need a sRGB calibration for general PC usage and a Rec. 709 calibration for when I’m video editing.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

a Rec. 709 calibration for when I’m video editing.

You should use a 3D LUT (if supported by the editing software) for this because most video editing software doesn’t have support for ICC color management.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS