Mostly happy with results, but….

Home Forums Help and Support Mostly happy with results, but….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Matt
    Participant

So I started using DisplayCAL once I found it (over Spyder’s software, which was so difficult to get working on Windows 10), and I’m mostly happy with the results.  I have two monitors side by side, and I would have thought that with calibration of both, they would be “close”, but they aren’t.  Not even close.

Below is a picture of the two monitors, displaying the same thing (white page on chrome).  This is distracting, very distracting, when I have white back-ground items open on both, and the colors are so off.

Any suggesitons on how to clean this up?

For reference: Left:  ASUS VH242H

Right: Aacer H236HL

Both were started with the “Setting” of  Office and Web in DispayCAL.  Both went through numerous iterations of calibration.  I just can’t get them looking even close to each other.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

WolfPeace
    Participant

Did you use RGB controls on your displays for adjusting whitepoint?

If you did not, and you are on Windows, your GPU(and many many others) probably can’t have more than one 1dlut( or otherwise mentioned as vcgt) which are part of calibration/profile and are loaded in GPU.

My advice is to first try adjusting the RGB gains on both monitors for achieving desired whitepoint(if they vary from each other too much use the method described in last 2 sentences of this post), and doing calibration+profiling for only one monitor, while on the other you just do profiling.

If you did in fact adjust whitepoint via RGB controls on your monitors and have such a distinctive difference, then you have encountered a metameric mismatch and should use your eyes and RGB controls on one of the monitor for matching the whitepoint on the other. Please note that I would personally go with adjusting only one color at the start, and in most cases that would be the B(lue).

Matt
    Participant

I did in fact use the RGB controls on the monitors, but I did notice that it was harder to dial in the Acer than it was the Asus (which was nearly spot on).

I’ll go ahead and try this though, and see what happens.

As for the 1dlut, I’m not sure I understand.  So even though I have two monitors, it may not allow for me to apply a LUT to both, separately?

WolfPeace
    Participant

As for the 1dlut, I’m not sure I understand. So even though I have two monitors, it may not allow for me to apply a LUT to both, separately?

Yes, it is a high chance you can’t load both luts in GPU. Just one

Matt
    Participant

Huh, interesting.  Thank you!

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Yes, it is a high chance you can’t load both luts in GPU. Just one

With a reasonably modern graphics card? I haven’t had such a case in over a decade.

WolfPeace
    Participant

My experience(mostly with newer and few older Radeons) is opposite, also there is this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40391699 with more user experience, seems Nvidia does support dual LUT.

Florian Höch
    Administrator

My experience(mostly with newer and few older Radeons) is opposite

It still seems weird that a card that has several distinct framebuffers wouldn’t support distinct, per-framebuffer videoLUTs as well. Windows itself has some bugs related to multi-monitor ICC color profile support, possibly in conjunction with the specific video drivers that are used, when it comes to how active and inactive displays (connected, but switched off in the control panel) are enumerated, and this was the reason the “Fix profile associations automatically” functionality was added to DisplayCAL’s profile loader.

there is this thread: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/40391699

Seems to be outdated and without clear conclusion, and a strong tie to Datacolor products.

There is a sure-fire way to test if your graphics card supports different videoLUTs per output. Enable all connected displays (make sure the desktop is set to “extend” instead of “mirror”), then in DisplayCAL, select the first display using the dropdown and do the following:

1. Choose “Load calibration from calibration file or profile…” in the “Options” menu. Navigate to the folder where DisplayCAL is installed, and select the file “test.cal”. The selected display should show strongly reduced contrast.
    2. Choose “Load calibration from current display profile” in the “Options” menu. Display contrast should return to normal.

Repeat the above steps for the remaining connected displays. If the above steps only affected the respective selected display, then the graphics card has separate videoLUTs per output.

WolfPeace
    Participant

There is a sure-fire way to test if your graphics card supports different videoLUTs per output. Enable all connected displays (make sure the desktop is set to “extend” instead of “mirror”), then in DisplayCAL, select the first display using the dropdown and do the following:

Choose “Load calibration from calibration file or profile…” in the “Options” menu. Navigate to the folder where DisplayCAL is installed, and select the file “test.cal”. The selected display should show strongly reduced contrast.
    Choose “Load calibration from current display profile” in the “Options” menu. Display contrast should return to normal.
    Repeat the above steps for the remaining connected displays. If the above steps only affected the respective selected display, then the graphics card has separate videoLUTs per output.

Thank you for this, I didn’t know about this built-in feature that would enable quick and easy test.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS