Monitor Black L* level

Home Forums General Discussion Monitor Black L* level

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Leonardo
    Participant

Hi,

I tried to measure the color RGB 0,0,0 on my monitor with a Spectrophotometer (Spectro 1 Pro) and I have this LAB D65/2 reading: 25.1,0.1,0.5

If the measurement is good I have the sRGB value 60 60 59 mapped to 0 0 0. How is this possible? The monitor is calibrated with a ColorMunki Display and DisplayCal.

If I want to display more accurate L* colors, so that I can see the same colors I measure with the Spectrophotometer on the monitor, what can I do?

Many dark objects (ex. Maimeri 530 Black color) is measure as LAB 21.7,1.7,0.3 that translated is RGB 55 51 52. But looks kind of light gray on my monitor.

Thank you all

Calibrite Display SL on Amazon  
    Disclosure: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Vincent
    Participant

Hi,

I tried to measure the color RGB 0,0,0 on my monitor with a Spectrophotometer (Spectro 1 Pro) and I have this LAB D65/2 reading: 25.1,0.1,0.5

If the measurement is good I have the sRGB value 60 60 59 mapped to 0 0 0. How is this possible? The monitor is calibrated with a ColorMunki Display and DisplayCal.

Because your display has finite (& low) contrast. You have 2 ways of handle color transformations with a low contrast display:
    -fake it (black point compensation in calibration tool): ICC profile will store infinite contrast. 0 input has 0 nits.
    -store actual black and let each color managed app fake response (black point compensation on APP): for example Photoshop will map (bend gamma curve) darker greys to preserve some kind of tonal separation near black instead of clipping.

If I want to display more accurate L* colors, so that I can see the same colors I measure with the Spectrophotometer on the monitor, what can I do?

Contrast issues are ***non correctable*** (like an out of gamut color) unless you buy a new monitor more suitabke for that task… or configure it properly (find actual native contrast at native white & factory settings on OSD)

Many dark objects (ex. Maimeri 530 Black color) is measure as LAB 21.7,1.7,0.3 that translated is RGB 55 51 52. But looks kind of light gray on my monitor.

Explained above

Leonardo
    Participant

I would like to display real reproducible colors only, let’s say the minimum brightness of my monitor is L* 25, I want to clip everything without any gamut mapping, so let’s say from L* 0 to L* 25 I want a flat clipping for some tests. Same for the maximum brightness. Is possible to achieve this?

Leonardo
    Participant

Maybe the Spectro 1 Pro is not the right instrument to measure colors on a display. The ColorMunki Display is giving me very different results after the verification of the calibration.

Vincent
    Participant

I would like to display real reproducible colors only, let’s say the minimum brightness of my monitor is L* 25, I want to clip everything without any gamut mapping, so let’s say from L* 0 to L* 25 I want a flat clipping for some tests. Same for the maximum brightness. Is possible to achieve this?

Maybe creating a profile without BPC and disabling BPC on Photoshop. I do not find that useful but since you asked…

Vincent
    Participant

Maybe the Spectro 1 Pro is not the right instrument to measure colors on a display. The ColorMunki Display is giving me very different results after the verification of the calibration.

Then create a CCSS / CCMX  with i1Pro (RGB255 patches) and use only the colorimeter.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS