Matching two LG UI monitors & Samsung LCD to FSI DM250

Home Forums General Discussion Matching two LG UI monitors & Samsung LCD to FSI DM250

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Jan Moravec
    Participant

Hi,

I’m quite new to the whole calibration business, as I always had someone to do it for me, however now I need to get to it myself. Please just bear with me.

My first problem is, that before I even begin to calibrate my low-end LG lcd monitors, which I use as Resolve UI, the measurement of the white point is telling me to put it way towards magenta area. Which is confirmed after the calibration when I compare it to my FSI DM250 (which I trust).

My second problem is, that when I try to calibrate my another Samsung “client” lcd tv, which is connected via UltraStudio 4k HDMI, Resolve will only project the patterns to one of my UI monitors, neither to the tv, nor the DM250, which is simultaneously connected via SDI.

I’d like to have have some roughly similar colors, just not to scare clients much… Heading for Rec.1886, D65.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Jan

spyder 5 / macos 10.12.6 / resolve 14.3 / displaycal 3.5.3 / argyll 2.0.0

Florian Höch
    Administrator

Hi,

My first problem is, that before I even begin to calibrate my low-end LG lcd monitors, which I use as Resolve UI, the measurement of the white point is telling me to put it way towards magenta area. Which is confirmed after the calibration when I compare it to my FSI DM250 (which I trust).

What type of display, especially backlight, are the LG monitors? Be sure to use a suitable measurement mode (or correction). When all else fails, there’s also the possibility to visually match the white of your FSI monitor (using the visual whitepoint editor).

My second problem is, that when I try to calibrate my another Samsung “client” lcd tv, which is connected via UltraStudio 4k HDMI, Resolve will only project the patterns to one of my UI monitors, neither to the tv, nor the DM250, which is simultaneously connected via SDI.

Afaik the UltraStudio offers some type of configuration regarding which output(s) to use.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Hi Jan,

About your second problem: I believe that even in the case that the two displays are in a loop chain via SDI or HDMI, there is no way the patterns generated by Resolve are going to be analyzed simultaneously by any calibration application that I know of, and that includes SpectralCal CalMAN Studio. In addition, since Resolve only supports one 3D LUT monitor output per slot for an external display or one for Resolve Viewer, the only way to calibrate each display is by doing one at a time under the same color space target to match each other.

Then, to use 3D LUT boxes matching the number of displays to load the resulting LUTs. Optional is to use a 3D LUT box with multiple SDI or HDMI I/0, like Flanders Scientific, FSI Box1O among other brands. FSI new LUT box has support for 4 LUT I/O. In your particular case, since the FSI DM250 display supports internal LUT, there is one LUT box less to purchase.

Once the LUTs have been created, this workflow gives the user independent control of the LUT used from the Computer system limitation and/or color management application. That is. Use Resolve and DisplayCal to calibrate, profile and to generate the calibration LUTs.

Since DisplayCal doesn’t export FSI LUT format, whichever LUT format you choose to generate in DisplayCal, it has to be converted to FSI proprietary LUT format using a LUT converter like,
    FSI LUT Converter: http://www.flandersscientific.com/lut/mac.php for Mac. it’s a limited application version of Lattice converter.
    Lattice: https://lattice.videovillage.co
    LUTCalc: https://cameramanben.github.io/LUTCalc/

In the scenario where a LUT box cannot be used for the TV, a manual perceptual calibration match with calibration patches can be used too.

Jan Moravec
    Participant

Florian, the LGs’ panels are  IPS LED (24MP58VQ), however the measurement always wants me to push the monitor white point towards red or suppress green respectively.

As for the UltraStudio – the problem is, that Resolve is not feeding it the patterns.

William, this is something that I completely understand, my point was to have a LUT for Resolve that I could use if the clients wanted to see the grade on “normal TV”.

I’m trying now to  set the white on the LGs “by eye” and I’ll perform the calibration then.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

I believe that doing the calibration first is less subjective and beneficial than doing it by eyes, and then do the profiling. However, as an alternative, when having metameric failure between displays, perceptual calibration is the way to go. This is what I suggested at the end of my previous response on the subject.

In any case, there is a set of free patches available at Light Illusion that can be used as a pre-calibration step or for the perceptual match, if this is the way you would prefer to do it.
    Please see screenshot attached here from my Resolve set up for this purpose. Here is the direct link:
    https://www.lightillusion.com/downloads.html

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Jan Moravec
    Participant

William, this is exactly what I ended up doing today.

Now I left the probe to do its work overnight and I’m curious what will be the final result.

However, I still didn’t figure out why is Resolve not sending patches to the UltraStudio.

Thank you.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

William, this is exactly what I ended up doing today.
    Now I left the probe to do its work overnight and I’m curious what will be the final result.
    However, I still didn’t figure out why is Resolve not sending patches to the UltraStudio.
    Thank you.

Do you have Resolve in the Color page? Also, in Preferences, Release video I/O hardware when not in focus, has to be unchecked? And more important, you have to have at least one clip of video in Resolve Timeline in order for the patterns to appear on the external monitor.

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Also, on the screenshots I posted are Kevin Shaw’s patterns. He sells the package for a very affordable price. The only downside to this package is the Kevin doesn’t offer a guide on how to use it. So, we need to figure it out ourselves.

Jan Moravec
    Participant

Ahh, ok, so it was the release i/o checkbox in the end… I’m stupid.

Thank you so much for your help!

Willian Aleman
    Participant

Ahh, ok, so it was the release i/o checkbox in the end… I’m stupid.
    Thank you so much for your help!

You are very welcome.
    I’m glad to hear that it’s working.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS